So the Pope is a marxist.... (wait for it)
(01-03-2014, 01:04 PM)Occhidiangela Wrote: As to the Pope (or Catholics at any rate) and Marxists, may I suggest a little research for our OP on a thing called "Liberation Theology" and where it was most common.
Yes. And, particularly in how this Pope addressed it when he was the Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Jorge Mario Bergoglio.

I see him seeking more of a Peronista position.

Principally, Bergoglio is critical of LT's use of a Marxist interpretation of biblical thought and ignoring the importance of the primacy of faith in judging reality and inspiring the consequent practice. The seduction of Gustavo Gutiérrez's work is that it accurately appeals to the Christian teaching regarding attitudes towards wealth and the poor. The balancing act Bergoglio performs is to embrace all those things in LT which are Christian theology, while rejecting all those things in LT which are not Christian. Namely, the reliance upon State or "Communista" to provide for earthly needs. My view of the stance of this Pope is that Christians are called upon to do all they can do to help people in need, and that their sins (of commission, or omission) will be judged by God. Bergoglio is equally critical of the state Secularist apparatus promoting anti-religious social activism.

It is new for a Pope to bring Christianity to the Vatican, but it is fundamental to Christian thought, ala Mathew 19 (Matthew, the former corrupt tax collector), "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a rope (or camel - kamilos vs kamêlos) to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. " It is the evident self-conflict of being willing to walk away from all earthly possessions and desires, in order to pursue spiritual treasures. This conflict of spiritual journey is also universal to most of the worlds religions. I believe this Pope is seeking to enact the vision compiled by the conclave of Bishops, and which he authored in Aparecida in 2007.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: So the Pope is a marxist.... (wait for it) - by kandrathe - 01-03-2014, 04:51 PM