Hellfire Patch v1.02.A5: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish!
(09-11-2014, 06:35 AM)Belix Wrote: Hello. What do you mean the monitor doesn't support it? Just curious, as I've never heard of such a thing.

Some monitors have an option you can set in the menu that controls whether the image is stretched to fit on the screen's end. If you meant that your monitor doesn't have this option, you should be able to change the scaling behavior on the other end - at the video card settings.

Likewise, if your monitor does have this feature and you don't know about it, it could override whatever scaling option you set on your video card, which might make it seem like the monitor is incapable of showing a fixed aspect, since it is stretching whatever input it gets.

The monitor adjustment buttons are tiny little things on the bottom of the monitor. You click on the menu and by the time you fumble around to find the right little tiny button to try to adjust the image disappears. I have an Nvidia card. When my old Samsung monitor was working one of the options in the Nvidia control panel was to select "use Nvidia scaling with fixed aspect ratio". If you selected that option, old games like Diablo and Hellfire would be displayed as if they were on an old square monitor with black bars on each side. With the new monitor, the Nvidia control panel does not have that option so the Hellfire display is spread all over the screen and makes the game unplayable for me. I have done a lot of surfing trying to figure out how to get that option back with no success. One of the things I read was that the option does not appear if your monitor does not support that-hence, my conclusion. The only solution I can think of is to add an old cheap monitor as a secondary one for playing such games.

Edit: As it turns out, the scaling options do not appear in the Nvidia control panel if you are using the monitor's native resolution. So what you have to do is to change the resolution to some number lower than the native resolution. That triggers the scaling options to appear and enables you to select "fixed aspect ratio" and Hellfire is displayed as it should be and the rest of the screen is blacked out. You can then restore the monitor's native resolution and it retains the "fixed aspect ratio" you selected.

Anyway, I fired up the version I had 102.A3 and started a rogue. There was a Needler in Gillian's stash which a tried briefly. It shot no faster than a regular short bow so I guess that version still has the old Hellfire mechanic of "swiftness=arrows flying faster". These old naked eyes cannot tell the difference. It appears that you fixed that in the latest patch which I am going to download and install.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hellfire Patch v1.02.A4: Classic HF with less bugs and more polish! - by Thenryb - 09-14-2014, 08:14 PM
A5 progress update - by Belix - 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM