Can I get a quick rundown on Crimea?
Sad 
(03-24-2014, 07:06 PM)Taem Wrote: Thanks for helping me catch up to speed. One quick question, if Ukraine is not part of Nato yet, but only a candidate, then why is Obama so insistent upon Putin's noninterference in the matter?

There was an implicit (but certainly not explicit) guarantee of support given to Ukraine as part of the deal under which Ukraine gave up its nuclear arms. There were also a lot of nice-sounding, but not particularly specific, gestures made in terms of western support against Russia. None of that amounts to an actual defense treaty, but anyone who wants forceful action against Russia could use those things as an excuse.

Alternatively, they're just hoping Putin packs up and goes home without Crimea. But hot air only gets you so far.

Quote:This is the only thing I'm not understanding about this war so far, is our response to this issue.

You haven't done anything particularly forceful so far, nothing more than a few sanctions to pay lip service to the idea that countries shouldn't be invading one another. What's not to understand?

-Jester

Messages In This Thread
Can I get a quick rundown on Crimea? - by Taem - 03-24-2014, 05:10 AM
RE: Can I get a quick rundown on Crimea? - by Jester - 03-24-2014, 11:47 PM