A study on the benefits of video games
(09-29-2014, 02:19 AM)kandrathe Wrote: First, I read all three posts and the gist can be summed up by the quote,

Quote:"The reduction in human intelligence (if there is any reduction) would have begun at the time that genetic selection became more relaxed," Dr. Gerald Crabtree, professor of pathology and developmental biology at Stanford University, told The Huffington Post in an email. "I projected this occurred as our ancestors began to live in more supportive high density societies (cities) and had access to a steady supply of food. Both of these might have resulted from the invention of agriculture, which occurred about 5,000 to 12,000 years ago."
Which is to say, the science still seems to be highly speculative.

Then I researched some scholarly articles. I'm not sure I'd agree that, "all forms of media are actually making us vastly stupider on a daily basis" -- since, how ever else would we learn anything except from some form of media?

What I believe, based on my observations of life, is that our kids need less focus on ingesting forgettable facts, and more emphasis on critical thinking and reasoning skills. In other words, rather than merely teach them the facts, teach them to figure out how to find the true facts, (with citations), for themselves. Then they can wade through the BS media, and ferret out the pearls from the pig poop.

I completely agree. I was obviously being flamboyant in my initial response, however you hit the nail square on the head of the real issue with media... mindless distraction, where we occupy free time with "blah blah blah" instead of listening to our own inner thoughts. Who knew all that daydreaming we did before the distractions of the current age really did us good after-all? While I am merely hypothesizing based on what I've read, I do believe this to be true, and I have the feeling you and I are on the same page on this one.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
RE: A study on the benefits of video games - by Taem - 09-29-2014, 03:48 AM