Save closed realm characters?
(09-27-2014, 07:34 AM)Belix Wrote: I'm only interested in exactly what I said in my first post. If I had any interest in cheating, the last place I would talk about it is in a forum full of people dedicated to exploring every facet of legitimate play.

Let me reiterate in case I was unclear, I have no doubt you've the best intentions. I actually enjoy discussing the mechanics behind games and would love to talk theory with you, however the information we'd disseminate could most definitely be used maliciously and to that end, despite the good intentions, I don't feel comfortable discussing the mechanics on this site. Take this for example:

Belix Wrote:Backing up Realm characters may be as simple as manually invoking this save function while on Battle.net, but after digging around for awhile I have been unable to find it. Perhaps someone with more skill than I could locate the save function and figure out what parameters need to be passed to it to request Diablo II to save the current character at any time? This seems like it would be quite easy.

Using this knowledge, once the packets are known, someone could find a way to edit certain aspects of a character so they save that way realmside. There are already attack animation speedhacks built from this premise alone, knowing that certain information is clientside and can be manipulated in memory. Discussing this in detail would give scriptkiddies the tools they need to do harm. I've seen it happen before. In addition, the only tool I'm aware of that is capable of doing what you'd like is built into a flagrant cheat tool, albeit for older patches. Perhaps if someone were to remove the realm saver from that tool, it could be discussed further on these forums, like Foxbat's graphic decelerator program, D2-Glide, and other such useful D2 programs.

So, my apologies that you feel my words may have negatively influenced others from contributing to this thread in a constructive manner, but I hope you understand better where I'm coming from.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
Save closed realm characters? - by Belix - 09-23-2014, 07:47 AM
RE: Save closed realm characters? - by Taem - 09-23-2014, 03:32 PM
RE: Save closed realm characters? - by Belix - 09-25-2014, 08:00 AM
RE: Save closed realm characters? - by Taem - 09-26-2014, 01:00 AM
RE: Save closed realm characters? - by Belix - 09-26-2014, 09:27 PM
RE: Save closed realm characters? - by Taem - 09-27-2014, 06:57 AM
RE: Save closed realm characters? - by Belix - 09-27-2014, 07:34 AM
RE: Save closed realm characters? - by Taem - 09-27-2014, 07:42 PM
RE: Save closed realm characters? - by Belix - 09-28-2014, 04:23 AM