It's about time we talk about Syria...
(09-25-2014, 05:48 PM)kandrathe Wrote: I don't think the world can live harmoniously with this extremist element. I'm not sure they are all Wahabist, but it seems to be the root. Much like Nazism, this root must be ripped up, debunked, and never be allowed to grow again.

I like your word, "debunked", but I digress, squelching one off-shoot of a religion - such as Mormonism from Christianity - would have no more effect then annexing Mormonism from Christianity... it would have no effect and essentially propel this otherwise obscure denomination into mainstream. An much better approach would be, in my humble opinion, to disprove the existence of religion entirely, thus negating all forms of religious war, turmoil, and subjugation due to extremists views of all religions and cults - which is really what all religions really are anyways.

(09-25-2014, 05:48 PM)kandrathe Wrote: In my mind, this administrations mostly hands off approach to unrest in Libya, Syria, Egypt and elsewhere is the example of how not to transact foreign policy. Much like our inaction on Ebola in Liberia, we wait until it becomes a crisis before we begin to act. Whereas, had we formulated a better foreign policy plan for Syria 2 years ago, we'd be in a better place today.

.... are you seriously suggesting permanent occupation? That was tried with Bush Jr. in Iraq under the pretense we would eventually leave, but was so unpopular, when Obama brought the troops home and promised to close Guantanamo Bay, Obama's ratings surged. From this point on, no president in their right mind would leave a permanent occupying force in this area if they wanted to stay in office more than one term!
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
RE: It's about time we talk about Syria... - by Taem - 09-26-2014, 02:15 AM