New games I wish were worth getting...
Gauntlet Remake

Been playing the Gauntlet remake on Steam. It's a very well-made game with HUGE room for expansion, however the lack of levels leaves much to be desired leaving the experience rather lackluster. There are only twelve levels, whereas the original Gauntlet games had well over 100+ levels on them, and the lack of monster variety is sorely noted, however the polish on the game cannot be overlooked as the artwork is terrific, the game-play controls fantastic, and the feel captures the original beautifully. Like I said, until more content is released, I can't really recommend this game, but once it is, I won't be able to recommend it enough!

Legend of Grimrock II

Also been playing Legend of Grimrock II. In all honestly, it's a well polished and fun dungeon crawler-type game in the same vein as the old Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder genre. There are however, several elements that turned me off to this otherwise terrific game, enough so that I haven't bothered to pick it up again until these issues are giver proper attention to. Mainly support for the new "firearm" mechanic they tossed into the game, which you'd think was a viable class and skill, but sadly is not due to lack of ammo in the game. And making an all firearm squad is a pipe dream in this game. The only way to make "special" attacks is to hold down your attack button for a time to "charge" it, however by the time it's released, you could have attacked with all four of your toons dealing twice as much damage in the process. Charged items aren't really useful for front-line fighters who dole out massive damage and have good protection, but are best used for wizards who run out of mana and need a backup item, however the caveat here is that the charged items in this game require.... more mana! Literally, everything I was trying to do in this game with my first two parties was squashed by these silly rules that weren't an issue in Legend of Grimrock I, so as of now, I cannot recommend this game until these issues are addressed, as I have stopped playing it myself. I feel that once proper attention is given to these, and other balance issues, then this game will be outstanding and deserve a place amongst some of the very best, however even great games fall due to stupid game-play crushing bugs and balance issues and this game is no exception.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
RE: New games I wish were worth getting... - by Taem - 10-30-2014, 12:40 AM