Diablo Hellfire Loot ( Drop Rate ) issue.
Diablo Hellfire Loot ( Drop Rate ) issue. A.K.A Why Does Hellfire hate your favorite unique items.

The Original Diablo is one of my favorite games. I played it a lot as a kid and once I got a little older (around 16 maybe) I looked up online a list of all the items in the game and came across a unique item called "The Grizzly" ( http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/The_Grizzly )

This sword just so happens to be the highest damaging unique sword in the game (if my calculations are correct) So naturally I created a Barbarian build that used it. The reason for this being its a two handed sword and the Barbarian class can use two handed swords in one hand. Now as you probably already know the Barbarian class is only available in Sierra's expansion for Diablo called Hellfire and only after some fiddling with the games data.

So I started a new Barbarian character with the express intent of finding The Grizzly at some point. So I played through the game once, twice ..... 11 times and turned up nothing. Well as anyone would I said screw it and gave up. Every couple of years I'd revisit the concept and play through the game one or two more times and still get nothing.

Finally this past week I got to the point I decided to do some research into how the drop rate system in D1 and Hellfire works and I wont bore you with the details but it turns out the unique item loot algorithm used by the base Diablo game and the one used for unique items in Hellfire directly clash with each other in a few places making a few of The Diablo Unique items impossible to find in Hellfire. Basically when ever Hellfire calculates a drop for The Grizzly it instead drops the Hellfire unique sword called "The Eater of Souls." ( http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Eater_of_Souls )

and so The Grizzly simply wont ever drop in a game of Hellfire.

I'm currently Playing the unofficial 1.02 Hellfire Patch as it attempts to fix the unique item problem, to quote the patch notes "In order to fix a fatal combination of BlizzLogic and Sierra's utterly confused attempt at creating a functional unique item drop system, many changes were made to base items, qlvls, and even attributes." The important term there being qlvl.

My one remaining doubt is The Grizzly isn't really mentioned in the patch notes outside of the modification of it's qlvl from 15 to 17. So Im still worried I might play through the game a few times and get nothing because the problem wasn't fixed entirely. As The programmers of this "Fixed" version of Hellfire did manage to make a few mistakes in the programming of there patch that I had to fix manually.... like for example the patch deleted Ardira's greeting audio and replaced it with the audio of the cows in the game.... Imagine my surprise when she started mooing at me. I simply Hex edited the right Wav file back in but little things like this don't fill me with a lot of confidence. so I'd like to hear what anyone who has input on the issue has to say. I even welcome simple conversing about how ridiculous and silly this whole thing is.

Final notes. For toughs that are curious just how bad the unique items drop issue is in Hellfire I'll include a full list of the unique items that can not be found in Hellfire because its simply impossible for them to drop.

..........Items Hellfire Hates.................................................................

..........Item................

Demonspike Coat

.....................................................................................................

Sparkling Mail

.....................................................................................................

Armor Of Gloom (Funny enough this armor is unique to Hellfire and impossible to get in Hellfire because it will only drop after the Demonspike Coat has already been found and the Demonspike Coat wont drop in a game of Hellfire )

The Grizzly (That Sword That I apparently care so much about)

Inferno (Not a bade Sword for lower lvls )

Messages In This Thread
Diablo Hellfire Loot ( Drop Rate ) issue. - by Eight_Bitt - 11-20-2015, 09:01 PM