San Bernadino Terrorism and Radicalization
(01-08-2016, 11:41 AM)ShadowHM Wrote: I am still sorely puzzled by the notion that any additional restrictions that help curtail an individual's ability to kill others with ease is a bad thing, especially since it isn't just that small fraction of deranged people who do the killing with them.
I guess it is just the unique nature of our founding which placed high emphasis on the right of self defense. It was a consequence of our resistance to the Empire. Also, prior restrictions on commoners having been lifted, such as 1688 after the ouster of James II, “That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law.” It became an important point for a newly pluralistic republic to establish power with the commoner. In keeping with the purpose of militia, perhaps the attitudes would change if as in the beginning, all able bodied citizens (age 18-65, men and women now) would periodically need to muster to the local regiment with cleaned and proper weapons to drill. In colonial times, failure to muster, or be present in good order would meet with punishments and fines. You never know when we'll need to repel an incursion of hooligans from Thunder Bay. Seriously though, the rights are remembered, but not so much the responsibilities. We end up with that which earlier founders feared most; rather than local militia we traded it for many standing professional armies (aka. police corps if you are conversant in BLM). Instead of an ethos of equal personal power of united citizens, and shared responsibility, we've evolved also toward a paradigm of armed power (thugs, and police/military) and their victims.

Quote:The sad trail of children who are killed by the guns in their own homes might be eliminated with your idea of a biometric lock, but I can't quite imagine how that could be forced on the populace.
Agreed. The pro-gun lobby does senselessly fight against this innovation. Most people I know, including myself, keep their weapons secure in a safe. If I lived in an area where I feared home invasion, where I would need a weapon ready for defense, then I would really want better safety on the weapon.

Quote:Additionally, I think you are also being disingenuous by bringing Mexico's stats into the conversation. Mexico's mass shootings and corresponding high murder rates are almost all directly related to the failed War on Drugs and your government's attempts to push the effects past your borders.
Not really. A large portion of violence in our country is related to the same failed policy. I added them since mostly since they complete the geography of North America.

Bureau of Justice Statistics reports, "BJS examined homicides in the 75 most populous counties in the United States in 1988. Many of the homicides involved drugs or drug trafficking, including the following: drug manufacture, dispute over drugs, theft of drugs or drug money, a drug scam, a bad drug deal, punishment for drug theft, or illegal use of drugs. One of these circumstances was involved for 18% of defendants and 16% of victims."

Quote:Regardless, thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed response. I appreciate the perspective.
You are welcome.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: San Bernadino Terrorism and Radicalization - by kandrathe - 01-08-2016, 01:32 PM