Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean?
(06-27-2016, 09:14 AM)Jester Wrote:
(06-24-2016, 03:59 PM)kandrathe Wrote: What we hear in the US is that the pro exit people are anti immigration. I have to believe it's much more complicated, involving economy, political power, judicial sovereignty, and so much more.

Brexit is complicated. I don't think the reasons for voting for it are. It's a vague anti-status quo, anti-elite protest vote mixed liberally with anything from mild discomfort with immigrants through to full on white nationalism. Pull the anti-immigrant element out of the Brexit vote, and you're left with Alan Sked and the sovereignty wonks, who could barely fill a smallish village pub.

-Jester

I think you're under selling the sovereignty side of the issue here Jester. Think of it this way. What if the US, Canada, Mexico, and several of the countries in Central America and the Caribbean all decided to form an governmental block and then overall bureaucracy was set up in the Bahamas. Said bureaucracy then informed each country that there were certain rules and regulations that all of them have to follow. And those countires (the US, Canada, and Mexico) that have been self governing for a while suddenly had to start following the bureaucracy from the Bahamas even though some of the regulations ran counter to what said self governing countries have been able to deal with themselves for a while. It's going to chafe and eventually you're going to reach a point where something happens that breaks the proverbial camel's back. This is a major issue I've seen from people I know in GB. It's more than just the migrant situation, it also has something to do with self rule (and funnily, the Scots are now thinking again of possible voting for independence since they want to be part of the EU where as England and Wales do not, and I'm not sure on Northern Ireland's stance as Ireland is part of the EU).
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.

Messages In This Thread
Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by kandrathe - 06-24-2016, 03:59 PM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by eppie - 06-26-2016, 06:35 AM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by Jester - 06-27-2016, 09:14 AM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by Lissa - 06-27-2016, 06:50 PM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by Jester - 06-28-2016, 01:01 PM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by eppie - 06-29-2016, 01:53 PM
RE: Oh my. Brexit. What does it mean? - by Lissa - 06-27-2016, 09:32 PM