Democrats' Response To President Trump
(01-30-2017, 10:19 PM)FireIceTalon Wrote: This is weak. Sorry, calling someone dumb does not equate to discrimination against disabled persons as using the term 'libtard' does.
You called Trump a moron. Are you saying that calling someone a 'libtard' is ablist, while calling them a 'moron' is not?

But, now that you mention it, "dumb" is also offensive to those so physically handicapped.

Quote:It's not even in the same ball park. Trump has not been diagnosed as having an intellectual or cognitive disability, but he is quite stupid. Having an intellectual/congnitive disability and being stupid are not the same things.
But, this is a judgement by you in labeling him, which is insulting to actual disabled people. You also used the invective "moron" which I think is much in the same aspersion category as retard.

While the word is still used as an insult today, it usually just refers to ‘a stupid person’. However, the word started off as a psychological designation, referring to someone with learning difficulties (a learning disability in North American English). In fact, moron was first adopted and given this meaning in 1910 by the American Association for the Study of the Feeble-minded in 1910, with reference to the Greek word μῶρος, ‘foolish’ or ‘stupid’. Today, the word is generally avoided now due to the more widespread sense of ‘stupid person’. As in, Δεν θέλω να κάθομαι να ακούω μωρές κουβέντες

How shall we equivocate in our name calling? Or, maybe we stop name calling?

Quote:In fact, you trying to use that post against me, inadvertently makes YOU the one who is guilty of ableism since you just implied that being "dumb" and having a intellectual or congnitive disability are the same things. Epic fail.
No. Nice try to slip out of the noose you hung up yourself. These are all your words. You are in fact using words as weapons, and in this case you are guilty of insulting the disabled as well.

My suggestion: Stop using words as weapons.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Democrats' Response To President Trump - by kandrathe - 01-31-2017, 06:58 PM