The real looming threat to net neutrality
(05-02-2017, 04:26 AM)LavCat Wrote: Here we can get high speed internet but it is $300 a month with a $500 installation fee.

Maybe we should deregulate cable systems like we did to railroads in the 1980's. That is, I would allow consumers to buy programming from ANY provider, and require the Cable operator to divide their programming delivery from their network infrastructure. Over time, create the mechanism to treat cable infrastructure, like roads (municipally owned) or like rails (shared and shipper neutral). So, even though MEDIA COMM owns my wires at the moment, I could instead buy COMCAST programming. New ventures would not be shut out of markets due to a lack of physical access. If XYZ Broadcasting wanted to buy the rights to broadcast Yankee baseball games, consumers could buy directly from XYZ and not have your local operators deny your access to external programming.

These maps show why internet is way more expensive in the US than Europe

[Image: attachment.php?aid=280]

We could get that last 30% if we cut the cost down to < $100 per month.

USPIRG Recommendation = THE FAILURE OF CABLE DEREGULATION -- Which I don't think will help btw.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: The real looming threat to net neutrality - by kandrathe - 05-02-2017, 05:20 PM