Considering building a new gaming computer for my son - AMD or Intel?
In general, intel for budget gaming, and for hardcore gamers that want to overclock that last frame. Ryzen for everything else. Although I do feel Ryzen is the way to go for higher end systems.

It really depends on what your old parts are. If your graphics card is too old, then the CPU would be sort of wasted as it would not perform well in games. Most games are decided by the GPU. GPUs have advanced far more than CPUs, so it may be possible the old CPU is still usable, or you're better off spending less money on a CPU and getting a better graphics card. This is also considering that buying a new CPU entails buying new ram and motherboard too.

Anyhow...

I3s are completely redundant. The Pentium G4560 costs half as much and the only difference between the two is 3.5 vs 3.9 ghz. Nothing else. Pentiums used to only have 2 threads, but now they have hyperthreading like the i3s.

If you want to spend more and don't play on overclocking, look up the i5-7400/7500. Intel still has the edge on per core performance which games care about more at the moment as opposed to having more cores, that Ryzen generally has.

Compared against the 1500x's 4 cores doesn't really impress me (even if it has 8 threads vs the i5's 4). However, the 1600 which costs like $30 more and has 6 real cores looks to be the best choice.
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Considering building a new gaming computer for my son - AMD or Intel? - by Archon_Wing - 06-11-2017, 11:17 PM