100 Years since October 1917 -- No Celebration.
(11-03-2017, 05:23 AM)LavCat Wrote: I have a Chilean Marxist friend who is well acquainted with prison and torture.

I'm sorry for what he/she has had to endure and hope he/she is ok Sad

But as I stated above...oppression, imprisonment, censorship, slandering, deportation, and ostracizing, or all of the above (and sometimes worse) of those with leftist politics, is not too historically uncommon under capitalist and fascist dictatorships. It is in fact, very conducive with it and is often necessary as a part of capitalism's internal logic as a system. But, if your friend is even relatively new to Marxist thought, this is basic knowledge, to which im sure he/she has told you as well.

In capitalist society, critical thinking is acceptable, AS LONG as you navigate WITHIN the system. What, you dare question the legitimacy of the present system?? How dare you, you little peasant you will learn your place!! Under best circumstances, being openly communist (or even just being sympathetic towards some of communisms core ideas) makes people look at you and treat you as if you were a 3 headed leper from outer space instead of as another human being - thanks to the psychosis of McCarthyism and its witch hunts, as well as decades of 'Cold War' rhetoric and propaganda. Fortunately for me, this is about the worst I have had to endure so far for being an open Marxist - I've been called everything under the sun, from being accused as a treasonist all the way up to being called a murderer (even on this very board!). Under worse/worst circumstances, people with radical left-wing politics will experience what your friend has, unfortunately.

Out of curiosity, does your friend post on any leftist sites that you know of? Is this person free or still in prison? I would like to engage with him/her and learn more about their specific politics and experiences as a leftist who has been directly oppressed by a capitalist state. I have spoken with several comrades who have been harassed, assaulted or even jailed for being left-wing, or for defending someone who was being attacked or bullied by cops or skinheads.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 100 Years since October 1917 -- No Celebration. - by FireIceTalon - 11-03-2017, 05:51 AM