The Last Jedi (spoilers will be here, you have been warned)
So, what are people's general take on this? I'm disappointed with Rian Johnson has wrote. Rian Johnson is a good director, but his writing here was not good.

I think the biggest problem that causes a number of problems with the film is the amount of time between it and The Force Awakens. This is the first episodic film where there hasn't been some kind of time passage (ANH to ESB was 2 to 3 years, ESB to RotJ was 2 year, TPM to AotC was 10 years and AotC to RotS was 3 or so years as Clone Wars takes place between AotC and RotS). The time between TFA and TLJ is a matter of hours to a day at most. This causes several issue:

1) How did Finn heal up so quickly between the end of TFA and the start of TLJ. Bacta isn't some super healing material as it's well known that Luke was laid up for a week or so after the Wampa smacked him up side the head and his exposure yet Finn is back up and no worse for wear in hours given that Kylo almost killed him with the strike to Finn's back, doesn't make a lot of sense.

2) The training montage between Rey and Luke is so short compared with Luke's training with Yoda. Given, Rey is a Mary Sue (and Anakin in TPM was a Gary Stu), but really we needed more time passage.

3) 16 hours of fuel for the hyperdrive/regular engines seems really too low for a ship the size of the Raddus. Even if the First Order couldn't track them, they'd be dropping out of hyperspace to get fuel way too often.

Next up is the vast change in character's from TFA to TLJ (as well as prior trilogy).

1) Hux went from being a conniving menace to comic relief, this was a terrible decision.

2) Phasma was wasted yet again even though Gwedilon Christie said she worked with Rian to have more of a story for her.

3) No expansion on Snoke and the fact that he could read Rey's thoughts and ideas, but couldn't recognize that Kylo was setting up Anakin's/Luke's lightsaber to kill him.

4) Luke being in despair and thinking that killing his nephew instead of trying to save him makes any sense (really gives new meaning to Mark Hamill's comment of this being more like Jake Skywalker than Luke Skywalker).

5) There was no need for Laura Dern's character, it could have been done better by having Akbar somewhere else on the Raddus and performing the action that Holdo took of self sacrifice and it would have been a better send off for Akbar than how he went out.

6) Leia showing a force power that makes no sense to force powers she's shown in the past (her force powers have been sensory based, so having her somehow protect herself against vacuum to allow her to get back into the ship). When the scene happened, I immediately went to Guarians of the Galaxy Vol 2 when Yondu yells, "I'M MARY POPPINS YA'LL!"

7) Rose just wasn't an interesting character. I like Kelly Marie Tran, but the character was just poorly written and the arc between Rose and Finn was just bad. I would have rather seen Billie Lourd's Lt. Connix be here and it could have been a better choice as she was already introduced and they could have used this to expand on her character instead of having her be part of Poe's mutineers against Holdo.

Then there was the logic issues that were in the movie as well.

1) Why didn't the First Order immediately launch fighters when they hyperspaced in at the Resistance base planet.

2) The whole comedity bit between Poe and Hux and the First Order.

3) Fuel issues with the Resistance "Fleet".

4) Bombs that use gravity. A simple fix with the bombers would have been to have the bombs have like a thruster to show why they go the direction the go in space.

5) Holdo keeping information on what is going on from Poe given he's one of the highest ranking officers the Resistance has at that point. Yet, it would have wiped ot the Canto Bight line, but really, that line could have been removed without hurting the movie.

6) Why didn't part of the First Order fleet do a micro jump to just in front of the Raddus or have another fleet jump in in front of Raddus to set up a pincer.

7) With the damage that the Raddus did to Snoke's flag ship and the Star Destroyers behind Snoke's ship in the path the Raddus took on it's hyperspace suicide ram, why haven't the First Order and Resistance created Correllian Corvette size ram ships (just a hyperdiver engine with maneuvering engines to be used on other capitol ships considering we know that Star Destroyer and Mon Calamari Cruiser hangers are big enough to hold something this size while still having other fighters inside).

Now, there were aspects that I liked in the movie, but more than anything, it disappointed me because of the above reasons.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.

Messages In This Thread
The Last Jedi (spoilers will be here, you have been warned) - by Lissa - 01-12-2018, 07:38 PM