The Last Jedi (spoilers will be here, you have been warned)
(01-13-2018, 12:12 AM)Lissa Wrote:
(01-12-2018, 10:15 PM)Bolty Wrote: Not to disparage your argument - you're correct on all counts - but I enjoyed TLJ because I knew it was a Star Wars movie going in, so I turned my brain off.

I'm not sure what people expect out of these movies. I came to see badass moments like Luke getting blasted to smithereens (supposedly) and coming out of the smoke just standing there like nothing happened. That was awesome. I came to see Finn battle Brienne from Game of Thrones. That was also awesome. I hope they bring her (meaningless) character back because she's fun. Evil for the sake of evil, no explanation or backstory needed.

Turn your brain off and just enjoy the ride, man. Smile If you think about ANY Star Wars movie, you'll realize none of them make sense and you quite possibly think differently about the originals because you were a kid when you first saw them. When you're a kid, you don't think about how a tribe of cuddly teddy bears took out a full legion of stormtroopers.

Thing is, this is one of the few Star Wars movies I came out of immediately disappointed by what I had seen. Hell I liked The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones initially, then thought about it and realized they weren't good later. I went into The Last Jedi and was immediately disappointed. Was the Luke bit cool with the walkers, sure, was the bit where Poe was blowing up the deck guns of the dreadnought also cool, yes, was the hyperspace suicide run cool, yes, but there was just so much that didn't hit and was disappointing. Rian Johnson's humor just did not land in most cases in the movie (the only comedic timing items that hit were Chewie trying to eat the roasted Porg and when Rey cuts the boulder in half and it crushes the caretakers' wheel barrow and how they look up and Rey shrinks).

If I were to put the Star Wars movies in order I would go:

1) Empire
2) Hope
3) Rogue One
4) Force
5) Return
6) Revenge
7) Phatnom (because of Duel of Fates bit)
8) Last Jedi
9) Attack

IDK, if you can get over the absolute retarded romance and death of Padame and how Anakin went stupid upset, the story isn't have bad. However to fully appreciate it, it takes some leaps of faith to assume major parts of the story aren't being told.

Regarding Anakin's descent to the dark side, I just assume the Emperor was influencing his mind with negative energy and causing him to have those visions, and that they were far worse than what was shown in the movies. Combined with his confusion as the emperor clouded his reason, he couldn't tell what was right or wrong and just put his faith and trust in the emperor at that point, who pretty much guided his actions.

Keeping this in mind, I also assume Anakin force choked Padame in such a way as to crush her trachea, and the healing bots simply couldn't repair to the damage due to the force energy (midichlorians) interfering with their instruments.

Taking these two points into consideration, it's not that far fetched to think that perhaps there was much political, behind-the-scenes mumbo jumbo that would have bogged down the movie that was left out which could have must better explained some of the political and diplomatic blunders in that movie. So yeah, as Bolty said, you have to shut off the logic part of your brain to enjoy it, or as I do, find a way to justify it to make sense. Once you do so, I think you'll find the lightsabre duels to be very exciting, and the story to be fluid. What more could you ask for from a Star Wars movie? Keeping all of this in mind, I actually think the 3rd movie is one of my favorites.

Having said all that, I actually walked out of the theater for this latest movie when Rey saw the tree. I was like, omfg, no originality anymore. Too much nostalgia! First we have a super death star in the other new movie and a virtual clone of A New Hope, then we have recycled elements from Empire which should have been a completely new story. I was done with it, and I left the theater. IMHO, the last two Star Wars movies are the worst ever made.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Last Jedi (spoilers will be here, you have been warned) - by Taem - 01-13-2018, 02:30 AM