Linux Questions
(02-15-2018, 04:01 AM)Taem Wrote: Linux could be a real competitive OS if it weren't so fractured with all it's different builds and distros.
I've been using Linux for maybe a few years now, and even though I know what you're saying it's also what makes Linux, well Linux. And in some ways still safer than MS, because there are multitudes of different builds and distros to suit different types of needs. I currently have one machine running an ubuntu derived distro, and another using an Arch based distro. Both suits my needs and my Windows 7 machine has been strictly offline work use only for quite some time.
Quote:I'm still personally on the fence rather to continue prodding along until I get something that works with what I need it to, or to give up. Just when you think you've finished the race with Linux, you find out you're only half way down the track and the hurdles just keep coming!
Most of the issues and sentiments you wrote, believe me I went through the same thing and so did a lot of people. I'll share some of my findings, which may or may not help you out.

MS Office products and Adobe.
These 2 are probably the biggest hurdles for more Linux adoption for everyday computing. Without getting into a rant, MS is obvious. Adobe, they're almost adamant in not wanting to offer Linux compatibility for a reason that you can find out for yourself if you think about it, and it has nothing to do with Linux directly. Anyways, if there is no Linux counterpart or the ones such as Libre Office or Krita and GIMP does not suit you, here is a few options.

-Separate Linux and Windows physically either via different physical HDD\SSD or a secondary machine. Use windows for the programs you need and preferably only non critical usage when it comes to online, and use Linux for online and everything else.

-If you have to use the latest version of windows, consider using the Enterprise or even the Enterprise LTSB version. IMO it's what Windows10 should have been all along.
https://www.computerworld.com/article/32...ained.html

Messages In This Thread
Linux Questions - by Taem - 02-04-2018, 06:44 AM
RE: Linux Questions - by Taem - 02-04-2018, 10:46 AM
RE: Linux Questions - by GhastMaster - 02-09-2018, 06:51 AM
RE: Linux Questions - by Rayking1 - 02-09-2018, 07:18 AM
RE: Linux Questions - by Taem - 02-11-2018, 06:24 AM
RE: Linux Questions - by Taem - 02-11-2018, 05:55 PM
RE: Linux Questions - by GhastMaster - 02-11-2018, 06:42 PM
RE: Linux Questions - by Taem - 02-15-2018, 04:01 AM
RE: Linux Questions - by Hammerskjold - 03-27-2018, 07:45 PM