Borderlands: Diablo with guns?
I've just started playing Borderlands this week, something to shake the disappointment of Dragon Age when I found that game less of a tactically-minded slasher and more of a medieval themed chat-room with bots.

Borderlands, set in the future on a desolate human colony world called Pandora, is called a 'Role-Playing Shooter': an FPS with leveled enemies, leveled characters, leveled items.

It's also been called "Diablo with guns." It does fit into hack-and-slash scheme of Kill = Reward. Loot is primarily in the form of guns, though grenade modifiers and personal shields can be dropped as well. The various types of guns in-game have their stats and characteristics determined by the weapon's make and model, each new prefix or suffix in the model name adding a little feature like more damage or one of a variety of sights. They say it results in 15 million different possible combinations of weapons. Of course, Sturgeon's Law means that 14 million of those same guns are going to be recycled for cash.

I haven't gone through one whole playthrough of the game, so I haven't seen everything so far. But I wanted to mention an Easter Egg I have just come across: one of the indigenious creatures of the planet are large flying reptiles called 'Rakk'. While hunting for an archaeologist's notes in a quest, I found one of the recorders being guarded by a boss Rakk with a familiar name. One of the loot items he dropped as it fell from the sky was also a blast from the past: a particularly weak yet insanely fast-charging personal shield called "Cracked Sash".
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.

Messages In This Thread
Borderlands: Diablo with guns? - by Rhydderch Hael - 01-17-2010, 09:46 PM
Borderlands: Diablo with guns? - by vor_lord - 01-18-2010, 03:37 AM
Borderlands: Diablo with guns? - by ShadowHM - 01-18-2010, 05:56 PM