Multiple Questions from a new player
Quote:A further report from the front...
Last night my Warrior cleared level 13 with all the Snow Witches and a bunch of big winged guys that belched fire balls. I tried the telekill thing but it cost a lot of mana and I kept dying so I switched over to the bait and hide method....threw one of them demons by Vargas a come hither look and then hacked her to bits when she came a callin'...big problem was that the sword I had with me knocked enemies back which gave them a chance to run for it...Also used Firewall but had trouble getting it aimed just right and they kept walking and shooting through it.

Interesting that the big black flying fire belchers had a glass jaw - only took a couple of shots to do them in.
On to level 14 and beyond!!! When (if) I can finish I'll probably try the other classes to what they are like.

Ok, some of this has been covered already, but I will try to summarize it at least as far as some things.

1) Forget Telekill completely. Telekill is really only useful when you get to at least the low 30's with decent gear, which means no Telekill at all for Single Player (SP). Peakaboo is nice, but you are new to the game and it will be difficult for you. As suggested above use Firewall. You can stack one Firewall on top of another for maximum damage. Try to get Firewall as high as you can as far as lvls. This will require you to read as many books of it as you can. Keep in mind that some monsters in Hell are fire immune or at least resistant.

2) Keep so called Reading Glasses around. You are in SP, so you have plenty of room in town to leave items from one session to another. Reading Glasses are items that add to you Magic. As a Warrior, you have very low Max Magic, the lowest of the 3 classes. Reading Glasses will help you to read Spell Books that you would otherwise not be able to read. Just equip the item(s) in town, read the book and switch back to you normal items.

3) The sword that you have is called Grizwald's Edge. It is an SP-only quest item with the annoying knockback ability. It is not really great and the only time it might come in handy is possibly against Diablo himself, on lvl 16. Of course, then your stacked Firewalls will not be as effective against him, so it's a trade-off.

4) If the firebreathing monsters are red, then they are Balrogs. They really are weak, and only might be unpleasant to you if you have no Fire resistance. Speaking of Fire resistance, you will need it for lvl 16, so do not throw away you Fire resist items.

5) If you already have not done so, max your Dexterity on the subsequent lvl ups. It will help you to block better with your shield and to miss less. Ignore Magic and Vitality. Just dump everything in Dex until max and then Str. Unlike in Blizzard's later games, most of a Warrior's damage comes from his Str, not from the damage of his weapon. Make sure you are using a 1-handed sword and shield btw, in case you had other brilliant ideas.

If you start another class, you should know that in the early going, especially in Church, Rogues are the strongest and Sorcerors are weakest. This changes dramatically in Hell, btw.

Personally, I do not suggest you try all 3 classes in SP. After you are done with this guy and beat Diablo, I'd suggest moving directly to MP. BTW, you do not have to go on Battle Net to play MP. You can play MP as long as you wish in solo games. Just chose Multiplayer and do not chose the BattleNet option. My first MP character was lvl 35 by the time he went to BattleNet.

I sort of envy you, sort of. You've discovered one of the greatest games ever made just now, so you have many exciting hours ahead of you, whereas many if not most here already stopped playing this game at least 5-6 years ago after pretty much mastering most or all of it's aspects. A lot of us are still looking for that "next" Diablo. D2 was a really good game, but just not as "special" IMO.... and there are no signs of D3.
OTOH, we played when there was a large active Diablo community, when we shared ideas and played together all the time, and unfortunately you will not have the opportunity to experience that. I guess it's a trade-off.

GL and HF.

-A

Messages In This Thread
Multiple Questions from a new player - by Ed A - 09-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Multiple Questions from a new player - by Alamara - 09-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Multiple Questions from a new player - by Nystul - 09-07-2006, 09:22 AM
Multiple Questions from a new player - by Nystul - 09-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Multiple Questions from a new player - by Ed A - 09-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Multiple Questions from a new player - by Alamara - 09-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Multiple Questions from a new player - by Alamara - 09-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Multiple Questions from a new player - by Ed A - 09-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Multiple Questions from a new player - by Ashock - 09-08-2006, 08:04 PM