Three Generation Households
Hi

I read this article in the New York Times with interest.:) It seems that there is a new trend to offset the increasing isolation of families in our society.

I have read many articles in the past, decrying the increasing number of 'single-parent' families and the perceived attendant societal problems that stem from that trend. Although the senior members of multi-generational households do have to overcome a shift from expectations about how they will spend their time once their own children get to adulthood, this 'new' trend does seem to me to be a more positive thing for the youngest members of such families.

I am quite sure that there are Lurkers who do live in such households. I would like to hear their perspectives on this living arrangement and other issues raised by the New York Times article.

At this time, I only know one such family (Mother, three sons, daughter-in-law and two grandchildren, all under one, albeit large, roof). It has been a surprisingly good thing for all concerned. The matriarch has the comfort of seeing her grandchildren daily, as well as aid with household chores that are becoming increasingly difficult for an elderly woman with arthritis. It doesn't hurt that one of her sons is also a fine and willing handyman for those 'fix-it' lists that come with any older house. The most difficult role is that of the one daughter-in-law, whose perception is that her efforts are often under-appreciated, and who yearns to be mistress of her own household.

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Messages In This Thread
Three Generation Households - by ShadowHM - 05-26-2006, 12:20 PM
Three Generation Households - by Maitre - 05-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Three Generation Households - by Doc - 05-26-2006, 01:22 PM
Three Generation Households - by ShadowHM - 05-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Three Generation Households - by Doc - 05-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Three Generation Households - by Maitre - 05-26-2006, 04:36 PM