Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying
Quote:I'm astonished. It is downright amazing to me that in the US, people can seriously be put in jail for praying.

Religious freedom is something else than the freedom to force your believes on other people, especially when they are children. (even though the founding fathers probably had in mind the last thing:))
If they were not reprimanded there would be very little difference between that Florida school and some Iranian or Taliban high school.

Even though we don't notice it as such a lot of religious oppression occurs in the west (in the south of europe, Poland and Ireland the Catholic influence is an example of this. But we tend to be a bit more lenient on these things when they concern christians instead of muslims.

In the US everybody can practice his of her religious believes. But it is a good thing that people keep an eye on abuse of these freedom......keep this in the confines of your house or go to a church....stop bothering other people with it. The Christian influence in politics and daily life is already too strong as it is now.
Still I prefer the US system over eg the dutch system where we have catholic, protestant, muslim etc. schools (I'm talking about elementarry and high schools).

Messages In This Thread
Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying - by eppie - 09-21-2009, 07:20 AM