Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying
Quote:There is a Wiccan teacher at the local junior high school in my community who insists on beginning functions with a Wiccan ceremony. So far there are upset parents, but no ACLU.
I have the impression that the ACLU doesn't bother with cases where some other organization will do the same work. Probably a finance or resource thingie. Why use up ACLU resources when you know that some social-conservative group like Family Research Council or somebody is going to use their resources?

I would bet, in this case, there's probably more to the story.

The most likely "more to the story": If people know the teacher is Wiccan, they'd look at everything he does as a Wiccan thing. For example, if he has everyone take a deep breath before starting class, some students would tell people that he's doing a Wiccan ceremony. People see what they think they're going to see. It's kind of like the suspicion that many people had when a Democrat president gives a speech to schoolchildren, he's out to indoctrinate them, right?

I would also bet, that if the story is indeed true, and no roundhead group steps up, the ACLU would eventually contest Wicca practices led by a teacher in a public school classroom. (Well, except for blood orgies, those are pretty secular.)

-V

(edit: unleaded a typo)

Messages In This Thread
Two Florida school officials won't go to jail for praying - by Vandiablo - 09-25-2009, 02:22 AM