Old Ironforge Lives
Those of you who got in the WoW beta during the first half of it might remember the original Ironforge - a terribly confusing layout of a city that, quite the opposite of now, was usually a ghost town (at the time, Stormwind was the center of player activity). I remember once trying to find the High Seat, where the king was, and spending 20 minutes looking for it. Back in those days we didn't have city maps, and there were no city guards to give directions. Ironforge had many levels vertically, so finding something became a matter of guessing what floor something was on and then trying to find it on that floor...was a mess.

The high seat was located behind a hard-to-find door, which led to a really buggy elevator. For months, upon logging in to the beta, the MotD included "WARNING: JUMPING ON THE ELEVATOR IN IRONFORGE MAY RESULT IN DEATH" and there'd always be lots of bodies at the bottom of the elevator. Back then, bodies didn't disappear when you res'ed.

Anyway, due to huge complaints about how annoying it was to get anywhere in Ironforge, it was completely and totally redesigned to its circular layout during the beta. They basically scrapped the old design utterly. Blizzard no longer uses "vertical" layouts on their cities, where shops/inns/whatever can be over top of another shop/inn/whatever.

The old Ironforge still exists, though. Blizzard just moved it. Down. Way down.

You can still find little bits of evidence when you stand in certain corners of IF and your location changes from "Ironforge" to "Old Ironforge." But someone put out a video showing how he got to fall through the world and find the old High Seat of Ironforge, the one you had to climb up a lot of stairs for (and if you fell off of, you would get incinerated). I want to try this myself.

You can see the video here; some nostalgia for beta players and a peek for those not "lucky" enough to see Ironforge how it originally was.

Edit: obviously, you need either Slow Fall or Levitate to survive the long plunge he takes; however, this looks to be a Mage-only thing since he blinks through the wall at the top of Tinker Town. Also, this is likely to get patched out soon due to this video...

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.

Messages In This Thread
Old Ironforge Lives - by Bolty - 12-12-2005, 02:11 PM
Old Ironforge Lives - by ima_nerd - 12-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Old Ironforge Lives - by Ruvanal - 12-12-2005, 09:14 PM