Guide about a Pacifist Necromancer
Munkay,Oct 21 2005, 05:50 PM Wrote:Secondly, I'm questioning the word usage in the title of your guide.  Pacifism is derived from the word passive, but has developed a more specialized meaning, relating directly to avoidance or rejection of war itself.

Oxford English Dictionary Wrote:Pacifism: Belief in or advocacy of peaceful methods as feasible and desirable alternatives to war; (espousal or advocacy of) a group of doctrines which reject war and every form of violent action as a means of solving disputes, esp. in international affairs. Also: advocacy of a peaceful policy or rejection of war in a particular instance.

And since your guide isn't about hugging Andariel, offering mediation to Diablo, or giving flowers to Baal, the meaning is just slightly off.

Technically speaking, the word you are looking for appears to be passive, since the necromancer is not directly doing the acting. Now don't let my post discourage you, the title still works and I doubt anyone would be confused about it.

Three cheers for artistic license,

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]92852[/snapback][/right]
Well... how else would you rename the char if the name does not please you?
I-don't-like-to-kill-anything, curse-only nercomancer sounds a bit odd, don't u think?

If i would go for the name title "pacifist" as you descriped it...
I wouldn't get really far in the game would I?

if you have any better title for my guide please feel free to tell, but I doupt I change it anymore...
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that
counts."
- Winston Churchill

Messages In This Thread
Guide about a Pacifist Necromancer - by ShadowHM - 10-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Guide about a Pacifist Necromancer - by Yogi_Baar - 10-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Guide about a Pacifist Necromancer - by ShadowHM - 10-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Guide about a Pacifist Necromancer - by Munkay - 10-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Guide about a Pacifist Necromancer - by Chaostheory - 10-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Guide about a Pacifist Necromancer - by rocdog - 11-01-2005, 11:33 PM