Complete lack of any AI for the monsters
I think one of the reasons why you mainly see more complex mob behavior in end-game instances is because Blizzard kinda assumed that players entering the World of Warcraft are novices. Thus the complexity of fights builds up through your leveling.

Early on you fight easy mobs and simply familiarize yourself with the combat system. Around level 15-20, you start requiring groups, so you get to familiarize yourself with partying. At this stage the fights are very simple, you don't even need tanks or even healers. Throughout next instances, you get to familiarize yourself with concepts of tanking, healing, holding aggro, crowd control, and AOE, all the way until you are level 60 or so. Kind of like a long learning curve. And you do see more complex behavior at higher levels, even outside instances (e.g. lvl 58 or so Troll scouts that call for help when they see an enemy in E.P.).

I guess it is Blizzards vision and there is little we can do about it. I would like to see more complex behavior myself, probably similar to what Jarulf does, but I have a feeling that would require a complete remake of the combat system.

Take out the dependency on "Trinity". Make environment have more effect on the fight, let distance have effect on chance to hit, enable collision, make some mobs TRY to backstab you and gouge to interrupt your spells, let mobs try to CC players if there is more then one, or make some mobs hide in the dark. Make it more then just stare at a screen while pressing 1-2 buttons over and over and over again.

Messages In This Thread
Complete lack of any AI for the monsters - by lemekim - 08-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Complete lack of any AI for the monsters - by savaughn - 09-01-2005, 09:33 PM