Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers.
jahcs,Apr 22 2005, 12:13 AM Wrote:I don't view it as gambling.  They can't sell something they don't have yet, unless the buyer is a moron.

The person farming for items/cash/xp is gambling on each item drop that he will get what he wants so he can sell it.  He is not selling the chance to get something, which is what gambling is.
[right][snapback]74729[/snapback][/right]

It is quite irellevant what you (or me, or anyone else) consider gambling. What matters is what the law consider as gambling. Lets look at the swedish law for example. Since it is in Swedish, I will have to do my best in translating legal language, which can always be a bit problematic, I will do my best.

Basically, the swedish "lotterilagen" (I think it is more lottery than gambling, lottery exist as an english word right? Gambling is included as part of it though) says that:

"3§ What is meant by lottery in this law is any activity were one or more participants, with or without a stake, can get a reward/win something of a higher value than that of the other participants"

Since you can transform your found items into money (through selling them) and items are found randomly, that is, not everyone will get the same ones, I can't see how it would NOT be covered by the law.

EDIT: For the record, the law of course goes into greater detail defining and covering various forms of gambling and such. It also list situations were it is allowed to do it withouth permision (it is a govermental body that gives such permisions in Sweden), I could not fit in WoW to any such, not even close.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.

Messages In This Thread
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Guest - 04-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Guest - 04-21-2005, 02:06 AM
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Guest - 04-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Guest - 04-21-2005, 05:12 PM
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Jarulf - 04-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Sony takes MMOs in a bad direction for gamers. - by Guest - 04-23-2005, 08:14 PM