Private Diablo Server
the Langolier,Feb 4 2005, 12:39 AM Wrote:I have always thought a private game server is the best way to go for a community of legit players to maximize their usefulness of multiplayer, but the problem is that no one plays on the ones provided.  It's not like anyone is to blame, the game IS almost 10 years old.  I have entertained thoughts about getting one running in the more-distant-than-not future, but I would not even try if no one would play.  If there was enough demand and HELP from others I would be quite inclinded to spend some time in the effort and stimulate some nostalgic interest in the game once more.

Anyways, what was originally going to be a short news post became: this, a Treatise on a Diablo Gaming Server.  It overviews a little what I imagine would be a successful Diablo server if one ever came to be.

If you have any thoughts, nits, or whatever let me know here.  If you have any interest in such a thing, it would be great to know that too.  If there is enough support I would be willing to work hard to make it a reality.  It would still be a ways off, but if there are enough willing to meet the challenges it could pay off.
[right][snapback]67117[/snapback][/right]

Been there, done that. It wasn't TOO difficult, back in the day, but lately I haven't been able to get it to work. :P Pity, all my old Blizzard games refuse to connect to the net (Diablo, SC, WC2), so I couldn't even test the latest server software.

Sometime in the (hopefully near) future, I'm going to set up a combination game / web server, and host my updated version of the old Mod Workshop, in addition to a gaming server (probably dedicated to D2 / old Blizzard games, but who knows? I may just focus on the classics, and skip D2 entirely). All I'll need is some networking components, and the urge to set it all up. Wouldn't take me more than a day or so, I'd wager, but the issue is the networking. This old comp is a bit of a PoS, as is my other, so I'd probably wait until I decomissioned this box. But we'll see. I have to go pick up my spare box (and another one being donated to me - an old DOS box that I intend to set up for nostalgia and retro gaming :D), and see if I can even set that one up. I forget if the network card even works in that one (I seem to always be having issues with my networking between these two comps, although that may have been because I was possibly using a patch cable instead of a crossover cable - they're all yellow, so I get them confused sometime :P).

In fact, maybe I'll do that this weekend. We'll see. At any rate, the point to this nonsensical rant was that the drive for such a thing is virtually non-existant, and even if there WAS demand, it's not something you could set up in a matter of minutes. It's generally a one-day setup, at least, with added time dedicated to post-setup configuration, etc. I'd be glad to help, but in the meantime, I'll point you... evidently nowhere, as I just spent the last 20+ minutes trying to find the last time this topic came up. :P Oh well. Try here.

At any rate, I have to run, but I'll come back here and let anyone know if I actually get anything constructive done. :D
Roland *The Gunslinger*

Messages In This Thread
Private Diablo Server - by the Langolier - 02-04-2005, 05:39 AM
Private Diablo Server - by danifilth - 02-04-2005, 07:15 AM
Private Diablo Server - by skana - 02-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Private Diablo Server - by skana - 02-04-2005, 11:27 AM
Private Diablo Server - by skana - 02-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Private Diablo Server - by danifilth - 02-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Private Diablo Server - by Taem - 02-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Private Diablo Server - by Roland - 02-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Private Diablo Server - by Nystul - 02-04-2005, 08:11 PM
Private Diablo Server - by Occhidiangela - 02-04-2005, 11:19 PM