To Buy or not to Buy?
Zelc,Jan 7 2005, 11:50 PM Wrote:Can someone who's played both WoW and the Guild Wars betas share some of the differences between them?
[right][snapback]64762[/snapback][/right]
They may have improved this from the testing I did with Guild Wars, but the crafting in WoW is better than the crafting in Guild Wars. Neither is really what I consider good, but WoW's is adequate. It was easier to get a guild started in Guild Wars (imagine that ;) ), but there wasn't guild housing when I tested it so it was pretty silly, but there's no guild housing in WoW either. PvP was . . . different. It annoyed me greatly that I couldn't just duel one person. I also couldn't even make sure that GG was in the same PvP group that I was in! That was really ridiculous - having only random groups. Maybe they fixed that too since then. Didn't engage in Guild v Guild though so I don't know how that was. I like the PvP in WoW much better, but I'm not usually a PvP type person. In Guild Wars, it was a really interesting concept to have to pick what skills you were going to use before you got into the missions. If you know the upcoming mission and know what to expect, it wasn't a problem. If it was your first time, you aren't really sure what skills to take in and you may wind up dead because of that. As a staunch advocate of being alive as much as possible, choosing the skills beforehand got to be annoying. In WoW, you have a lack of hotbars which can limit your skills, but you can get around that by using User Interface mods that add how many hotbars are on the screen. Guild Wars truly is a hack-n-slash game rather than the MMORPG that many others are calling it (btw, I'm glad Arena isn't calling it an MMORPG. Good for them.) whereas WoW is only mostly a hack-n-slash. ;) It's a slower paced hack-n-slash and it takes more good tactics to play well, but it's still basically just a hack-n-slash rather than a true MMORPG. Still darned fun though. Nothing wrong with hack-n-slashes if that's what you're looking for.
Intolerant monkey.

Messages In This Thread
To Buy or not to Buy? - by TaiDaishar - 01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
To Buy or not to Buy? - by Guest - 01-03-2005, 01:35 PM
To Buy or not to Buy? - by Thenryb - 01-03-2005, 05:30 PM
To Buy or not to Buy? - by Occhidiangela - 01-03-2005, 06:39 PM
To Buy or not to Buy? - by MongoJerry - 01-03-2005, 08:50 PM
To Buy or not to Buy? - by TaiDaishar - 01-04-2005, 10:11 AM
To Buy or not to Buy? - by MongoJerry - 01-04-2005, 12:46 PM
To Buy or not to Buy? - by TaiDaishar - 01-04-2005, 01:19 PM
To Buy or not to Buy? - by Zelc - 01-08-2005, 05:50 AM
To Buy or not to Buy? - by Artega - 01-08-2005, 09:16 AM