The Pen is Mightier than the Lock
There has been an assortment of articles describing a fatal flaw in the locking mechanism of some tubular locks which allows them to be picked almost trivially with cheap plastic pens. The wave of reporting began with this post.

Although this vulnerability affects many different lock manufactures, Kryptonite, a small bike-lock company, considered the King of them All, is taking much of the blunt because of its reputation. The lockmaker has just recently (Sept 17) announced plans to offer replacement for affected locks purchased since September 2002, and substantial discounts for replacements for owners of even older locks.

I am a Kryptonite owner myself. Although I could not find a suitable pen to try picking open my lock, poking at its pistons with a safety pin confirms with almost no doubt that the method described works. And, really, my confirmation is but a drop in the bucket, and not a very big droplet at that.

Fortunately for me, autumn is the season of rain in Vancouver, and I've no reason to take my bike out before spring except for recreational purposes when I wouldn't want to be lugging around a huge metal weight anyhow. Nevertheless, I'm still in disbelief that such an obvious and fatal design flaw has been left unsolved for so long.

Messages In This Thread
The Pen is Mightier than the Lock - by yangman - 09-19-2004, 05:36 AM
The Pen is Mightier than the Lock - by eppie - 09-20-2004, 09:20 AM
The Pen is Mightier than the Lock - by yangman - 09-20-2004, 03:03 PM