"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11&
Quote:This is perhaps the biggest crock that I have ever read Kandrathe. Sorry, but guns don't equal rights. That's a bunch of BS propaganda if I've ever heard it. Consensus, shared existence/history, mythologized "horizons of significanance" - these are the things that preserve societal rights. Carrying your gun around in your purse only protects your right to carry a gun in your purse.
:) That view is too extreme for me. So, I can't take credit for it.

But, to toss in my two bits while I'm here. I come at the issue from the other direction. What right does a government have to limit my freedoms? I am one who always looks at every tax or imposition by the state with a critical eye. Not that I don't concede that some taxes or laws that are a limitation on freedoms are neccesary for order or societal good. For the 99%(or more) of the US population that are law abiding there is no reason for the state to make a case to protect me from myself, or my neighbors. If our nation makes a priority of liberty and law, then the laws and the government persons hired to enforce those laws should prevent the 1% from doing harms. If the State must control the 1% by severly curtailing the rights of the majority, then what would prevent the state from taking other steps such as imposing a dusk to dawn curfew whereby it would be illegal to leave your home after dark. It would certainly reduce crime, except of course curfew violations. Ultimately, the right to protect oneself and ones property by reasonable means is a fundamental right. To remove that right, would be to subject the individual to the whims of the state, or local authorities. Or, in effect placing the citizen in a position of fealty to the government. So my question is, "Do I have the right to defend myself and my property or must I rely on the State for that?"
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:40 AM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 06-03-2004, 04:26 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by Guest - 08-02-2004, 02:27 PM
"Palme D'Or" for Mike Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11& - by kandrathe - 08-14-2004, 10:26 PM