The WoW Beta Downloader
I haven't seen this discussed yet, and I've found it quite interesting.

The method of distribution for the the WoW Beta client is based on a BitTorrent file-sharing system. You can get an idea of how BitTorrent works here. Since BitTorrent technology was developed under the MIT License, Blizzard was free to modify the source and develop their own proprietary client, which is exactly what they did.

The benefits of using BitTorrent as opposed to any other method of distributing the WoW Beta software becomes readily apparent when one considers just how HUGE the WoW client software is. It's over 2 gigabytes. Imagine the cost in bandwidth to Blizzard if it were a direct download, and imagine the mailing costs if Blizzard had to mail installation CDs.

Distributing the client via BitTorrent is a small fraction of that cost. The users downloading the software greatly subsidize the bandwidth charge by using their own upstream bandwidth to help distribute it to others.

Here's what the WoW downloader looks like from my end.

[Image: wow1.jpg]
This is a portion of the worldofwarcraft.com website after creating a new beta account. Note the "download WoW" link.

[Image: wow2.jpg]
That link takes you to this page. As you can see, another nice feature of BitTorrent is that you can resume a cancelled download at any time.

[Image: wow3.png]
Here's the dialog box one is met with upon using the WoW downloader.

[Image: wow4.png]
If you are resuming a cancelled download, the downloader checks the status of what's been previously downloaded. This is saved in a file called "Installer Tome.mpq".

[Image: wow5.png]
Now I gotta enter my Authentication Key (which was mailed out with the beta invitation).

I'm not allowed to hotlink any more images (forum rules -- limit of five I guess).
Click here for a link to the payoff image.
Cool, now I'm downloading another chunk of the beta software!

As you can see, I have a horrible transfer rate. Even though I have cable, I'm only paying for a "lite" service that limits me to 128 kbps downstream and 64 kbps upstream. I've been downloading the software in chunks (mostly overnight) for the past few days and this is my progress. 56k modem users are out of luck using this distribution method, unless they want to tie up their phone line for a week or so.

An alternate distribution method (mail?) is hinted at by Blizzard for future phases, but for now this is how it's done.

I don't know is this post was of any interest to you, but I've been finding the whole process rather fascinating, especially considering the amount of time I've been having to spend with it :)

Messages In This Thread
The WoW Beta Downloader - by DeeBye - 03-28-2004, 06:38 AM
The WoW Beta Downloader - by Ruvanal - 03-28-2004, 08:34 AM
The WoW Beta Downloader - by Guest - 03-28-2004, 02:45 PM
The WoW Beta Downloader - by TaiDaishar - 03-28-2004, 03:04 PM
The WoW Beta Downloader - by Kevin - 03-28-2004, 03:21 PM
The WoW Beta Downloader - by SwissMercenary - 03-28-2004, 04:48 PM
The WoW Beta Downloader - by Ruvanal - 03-28-2004, 08:09 PM
The WoW Beta Downloader - by Guest - 03-28-2004, 10:12 PM
The WoW Beta Downloader - by FoxBat - 03-28-2004, 11:12 PM
The WoW Beta Downloader - by Drak'Tzul - 03-29-2004, 01:24 AM
The WoW Beta Downloader - by DeeBye - 03-29-2004, 03:44 AM