Devil in the Details - Episode 7
(06-04-2012, 08:59 PM)swirly Wrote: If you aren't rushing then the Blacksmith pulls ahead of drops and can be a huge advantage.

I hate to berate this point, but it's a sticking point for me. Your definition of "rushing" simply doesn't jive with my gameplay experience. I played once through the entire the game, clearing every area including all side dungeons, but did no repetitions of areas (I always ended by game by finishing a quest that dropped me in town). I was higher level heading into Nightmare than anyone else I spoke to (I was around 33 or 34, while most were around 31). That is not, by definition, rushing so I don't know why you (and others) keep throwing the term around. I soloed the entire playthrough (with exception of Hell Diablo, which I cleared helping a friend before I had even started the first quest in Act IV - I had just arrived), so I don't know if there are experience gains for grouping. To say that I "rushed" anything, however, is patently false.

I can see how the Blacksmith can be useful for those in HC, where farming gear is more dangerous. I can also see how he would be more useful for any class other than the DH. The simple fact is, however, as a DH the gaps between equipment are too big. A single Crossbow recipe at level 4, and then nothing up through 60 (barring plans)? Asinine. Bows at 23 and 31 are ok, but then you have to wait until 51 and 60 to get your next bows. That's a huge gulf. Hand crossbows go from 16 to 28, to 42, and then 57. That's the best spread I've seen, but I stopped using hand crossbows in Act I or II Normal. The higher DPS of crossbow and quiver (or, as I do now, bow and quiver for the increased attack speed) is just infinitely better, and the added defense isn't really needed until you hit Hell (where that level 42 Hand Crossbow probably isn't going to cut the damage you need for working through Hell).

Besides, as I and others have said the AH is simply a far more efficient way of finding upgrades, in terms of stats and cost. If you have some objection to using the AH that's your prerogative. The game was designed around the idea of using the AH, and I've done so because it's simply flat out better than the BS for 95% of the gameplay (barring some very lucky rolls), and because I simply don't have the time to farm over and over again looking for that one piece of gear I need (especially since I have 4 7-week old kittens who love to interrupt me at my computer).

(06-04-2012, 08:59 PM)swirly Wrote: Treesh mentioned hardcore people storing old rares so when they die they have back up items for their characters. Myself (and some others) have been purposefully not doing this cause it just trivializes so much of the game.

I understand your point, and agree twinking trivializes the game (just as it did in prior installments). However, that doesn't change the fact that the game itself is trivial until you hit about Hell. The increased damage and hitpoints of mobs combines with the 2 (or 3, in the case of Inferno) added modifiers to boss packs (not to mention they seem to ramp up in quantity in the higher difficulties) to make a truly challenging opponent. Outside of my first attempt at the Butcher in Normal, I didn't die once until sometime in Hell. Normal is a cakewalk even without twinking, and Nightmare is only slightly more challenging - and can still be trivial with good enough drops, or crafts.

(06-04-2012, 08:59 PM)swirly Wrote: So to sum up, I agree that if you use the AH or if you keep your level on par with the drop level (calling it Rushing earlier was unfair since it is really keeping pace with the drops where as us HC people let our level get ahead of the gear drops) then you find less use for the Blacksmith.

Thank you. Smile

(06-04-2012, 08:59 PM)swirly Wrote: If you play slower and don't use the AH then the Blacksmith becomes very strong and useful.

I think the Blacksmith has a lot of room for improvement, but I love the concept and I do hope he finds use outside of max level (for both character and artisan). I love (good) crafting systems, so I was very excited about the Blacksmith. Unfortunately, he was completely useless to me until I hit Inferno (and even then it's more the allure of crafting AH gold farming equipment than anything usable). I hope they tweak him to make him better (he could definitely use some more recipes scattered throughout), as it is a great idea, and I love the concept of being able to take useless gear, break it down into materials, and then have a chance at gambling something that actually is useful.

(06-04-2012, 08:59 PM)swirly Wrote: Anyway, I just thought I would chime in since my experience with the Blacksmith seemed to be different from those voiced in the podcast.

I'm glad to hear from someone else's perspective. I always suspected HC characters would find more use out of him than SC. I just wish he was more usable throughout the character's life. I know there's a balance to find between drops and crafts so that the market isn't completely flooded (anymore than it already is). I just don't feel they've struck that balance yet. They've got a long way to go with this game, though (in terms of time) so I have some faith it will be addressed in the future.
Roland *The Gunslinger*

Messages In This Thread
RE: Devil in the Details - Episode 7 - by swirly - 06-04-2012, 08:59 PM
RE: Devil in the Details - Episode 7 - by Roland - 06-05-2012, 03:52 AM
RE: Devil in the Details - Episode 7 - by FoxBat - 06-05-2012, 02:06 PM
RE: Devil in the Details - Episode 7 - by swirly - 06-05-2012, 07:12 PM
RE: Devil in the Details - Episode 7 - by Treesh - 06-05-2012, 02:13 AM