US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act
(06-28-2012, 08:18 PM)Gnollguy Wrote: I agree that insurance shouldn't be coupled to employment, which means people can choose their own, but I don't have an issue with the government being one of those options that they can choose, and I want the government to take a bit of money from me make sure those who don't have the same income potential/opportunities as myself get health care, both preventative and reactionary care.
It's not clear to me where and when the "public concern" should stop. We don't want ambulance drivers scrutinizing ability to pay. We don't want infectious people spreading their illnesses to us healthy folks. We'd like to stamp out polio, tuberculosis, small pox, etc. through preventative health measures.

On the other side, there are cosmetic issues. And, there are self inflicted morbidities, like alcoholism, or obesity, or lung cancer due to smoking. To me, it's easier to manage these things when you put the burden of some decisions back onto the decision maker. It seems a bit harsh, but if you want to smoke, fine but don't expect us to pay for your emphysema or cancer treatments.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act - by kandrathe - 06-28-2012, 08:38 PM