US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act
(07-08-2012, 11:33 PM)kandrathe Wrote:
(07-08-2012, 09:05 PM)Mavfin Wrote: Of course. The ownership part is where you teach them that just because others do things, they don't necessarily have to participate in the general vulgarity themselves.
Well, sure. We can attempt to teach our kids. But, we can be active in expressing ourselves, and through purchasing. Lot's of advertising resorts to sex, objectifying men and women, to get us to pay attention. It's because vulgarity is profitable (not just accepted) that it is prolific -- so we can be active in our society to express our beliefs.

We don't need to call on the government to censor stuff. We can just actively support those things which are kid friendly, and reject those things which could be damaging to children.

[sarcasm]But, of course, it's not cool to be a prude. It's better to try to keep your kids informed on the latest sexual deviations being discussed in the main stream media.[/sarcasm]

So, are you suggesting that we do more 'legislating morality'? I don't care for that at all. I think government interferes in people's personal lives too much as it is. I understand what you're saying about the prude part, but, the market decides what's acceptable and what's not, other than a few FCC rules. You can, as you say, support those things you want, and reject those you don't, but, if the rest of the market doesn't mind the things you don't like, you still have to teach the kids how to deal with them. Or, leave them ignorant, I guess. Lots of parents do, and then wonder why they have issues.

Edit: i.e. other than the first bit about support/reject, how do you propose to make the current world un-vulgar and just the way you want it, without legislating or other ways that simply don't work, or carry too much baggage?
--Mav

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Upholds Affordable Health Care Act - by Mavfin - 07-09-2012, 04:40 AM