Attention: Battle.net security breach
(08-14-2012, 04:17 AM)Occhidiangela Wrote: Authenticator: worth it, or just one more false sense of security?

If you're sure you're absolutely careful and don't reuse your bnet password, you don't have to have it. Having said that, if your secret answers were exposed in the breach, and someone uses them to reset your password, which *could* happen, having an authenticator would mean they still couldn't get into your account. Without one, they'd own it as quick as they could log in with the new password.

I've had one since about a month after they came out, because my teenagers use my computer and have a B.net account, too, and I've watched people around me get hacked left and right w/o authenticators, while I've soldiered on w/o any kind of issue for years. I do work in IT security, so, I can't point to the authenticator and say that it actually did anything for me, but, it makes you a harder target. The main thing is that if your password *does* get compromised somehow, you aren't automatically screwed.

As far as the latest issue, I've changed my password, and my daughters changed their password. Things are moving forward as normal.
--Mav

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attention: Battle.net security breach - by Mavfin - 08-14-2012, 01:35 PM