Attention: Battle.net security breach
(08-15-2012, 01:17 PM)RTM Wrote: I've had quite a few people recommend those types of services & programs, but call me paranoid, I'm kind of leery giving the keys to my kingdom to a third party no matter how encrypted or obfuscated it is. Plus I access websites from all manner of devices and computers (home & work PC's, tablet, phone, etc). I know it's supposed to work cross-platform, but still... Plus, what if the company goes out of business?

Yeah, just call me paranoid. I can deal with it. Smile

Mav covered KeePass. Password Safe is the same, it lives on the local machine (or network drive or thumb drive). I'm not sure which came out first they have very similar interfaces. We use PW Safe at work which is why I adopted it. Storing the safe on my Google Drive is what allows me to access the same safe from anywhere, though many just keep the safe on the thumb drive. That's the only real danger of giving the keys to someone else in my set-up. If someone hacks my google account, and gets the safe and then spends the HUGE amount of effort to crack that, then yep I've compromised a ton of stuff. Same if someone gets the safe off my local machine, etc.

It's a different set of dangers, but I've had too many IT security professionals sign off on the products to really worry too much about it.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Attention: Battle.net security breach - by Kevin - 08-15-2012, 06:22 PM