Ohio miners forced to attend Romney rally without pay...
(09-10-2012, 06:35 PM)Jester Wrote: Why can't they both be wrong?

I'm not saying that they both aren't wrong. But I look at it more like an infection. The laws that allow this, are an infection.

The business practices that result from it, are symptoms. Fever, nausea, chills, etc...

If you have an infection, you don't (or at least shouldn't) spend all of your time being caught up in the symptoms. You should be spending your time with some good antibiotics that will deal with the "Cause".

I don't see the point in getting upset about what this company is doing, when it is just a symptom of terrible policy.

Quote: Surely, if the laws of Ohio are so terrible that they allow employers to basically force workers to support their own partisan affiliations - and Robert Murray surely has those - why is it right for a presidential candidate to take advantage of that? Shouldn't Romney at the very least disown such practices, once they're called to his attention?

-Jester

I'm going to try and temper my comments here so that I can convey my point, without being as "partisan" on the issue as I am.
I tried. I can't. Romney is just a tard.

Warning. The rest of this post comes from a rather "liberal" leaning "former" Pentacostal Christian in the midst of a decade long crisis of Faith. (talk about a long story...)

The reason is simple. Given the documented history of Romney's business practices, IF he did know about the practices, he probably (I wont say "For Sure", but his record would indicate that he "probably") doesn't have a problem with them doing this, or with the laws that govern that allow it to happen.

You have to remember/understand, that Romney's campaign is being run counter to your very example. He is running for the republican party, a party that has founding ideologies in less government intrusion in personal life, less government oversight, less government "control", yet he is threatening to cut off funding to Planned Parenthood, introduce legislation that would put the government in the business of regulating a woman's body, and denying civil rights to a group of people because of the person that they love.

He is running implicitly on a campaign that puts governmental regulation into people's lives, and in their bodies, and cuts them off from valuable resources, because those businesses (planned parenthood) and rights (Gay marriage) conflict with his personal religious beliefs, while running as a member of a political party that holds almost the very opposite to be their core values.

I should clarify, that this isn't strictly, "A Romney" problem. The republican party, is far less "republican" by standard definition right now, and far more "Religican" Party, and the "Bible Belt Religican's" Have an overwhelming feeling that if you aren't with them, you are a hell bent heathen. (Remember, only the Sith deal in absolutes)

I was recently witness to the "Religican" thinking in all of its sadness, when a prominent Christian Pastor in the area proudly proclaimed on facebook that any "Christian" who supports the Democratic Party, has been swayed to the causes of the devil, and is lost. Did people stand up and say "No Way! Religion =/= Politics!" No. His followers lapped it up, and whipped themselves into a good old fashioned fervor over it, and went on to make wild accusations about the Democratic Convention, and Obama.

When I messaged the "friend" (who shared the link with me) that I would love to talk to him about the inaccuracies in the discussion, and that I was worried about him being so gung ho about it, I was promptly defriended, and blocked, so I can't give you a facebook link to it. (God I would love to see some of the lounge tackle that topic... Not really.)

{EDIT}

A problem that I DO have with this is the idea that corporations are extended First Amendment Rights. A Corporation isn't a person, and I seriously have a problem with it being treated as one. It has no right to the same civil liberties that the first amendment grants me. I have a problem with the companies who have come out against Gay Marriage, and even though I support Gay Marriage, I have a problem with those that come out in support of it. You are a company. Keep marketing products, and I will keep buying them. If the Owners, CEO's, Board of Directors want to fund Anti-Gay campaigns, or Pro-Gay Campaigns, or Marry your pet Spider Campaigns, allow them to do so on their own, without involving the company. The minute that they do so with the company letterhead, and the company checks, I have a SERIOUS problem with it.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ohio miners forced to attend Romney rally without pay... - by shoju - 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM