Torchlight II Live!
(04-07-2013, 01:58 AM)Mavfin Wrote: I can see why some wouldn't care for always-online, if you didn't have a great internet connection. Of course, it's harder to just download a pirated version for a console, too.

Unless consoles are going back to proprietary cartridge format, and we somehow roll back the power of PCs to the 1980's, this horse is already long gone. Yes it's harder, but not impossible, even for consoles nowadays.

Quote: I have a 50 ping all the time, so always-online doesn't bother me. I bought the game knowing it would be so. I have had zero lag deaths. YMMV.

Yes. Other people's mileage may vary. Some folks really need to keep that in mind, and not act like -their- setup is everyone elses. Or that's the way it should be.

You know, like this guy.
http://4playernetwork.com/blog/2013/04/a...h-article/

Quote: If you know your internet is bad or unstable, you probably shouldn't have bought the game,

I've remembered when a friend of mine worked at a videogame store, and told me some folks buying WoW when it first came out, not realizing that it was a MMOG requiring innernets connection to play. Some kept it, some returned it.

It's so tempting to call these people 'morons' who should read the fine print. But it'd also be wrong, especially from a business viewpoint. These people bought the game because they saw 2 words, 'Warcraft', and 'Blizzard'. There are companies that would kill for that kind of brand recognition and near rabid (shut up and take my money!11) loyalty.

Quote:and reserved your ire for your ISP, not Blizzard, who never hid what they were doing.

....We'll just agree to disagree on reserving ire for the ISPs. And doubly so for giving bliz a free pass on not 'hiding what they're doing'. This is not a commendable, cookie worthy act to me.

It's the tone (or tone deafness) and arrogance of that pisses off a lot of people, acting like it's already a given that people somehow just have to have it, because who are you to not like anything we serve up.

It's -NOT- the 'we never hid what we're going to do, LOLZ Y U MAD THO?'

Quote:
As far as the auction houses, I don't see removing a feature from the game when it's *completely optional.* Nothing and no one forces you to use either AH, same as trading in D2.

We're not talking about the AH. We're really talking about the -RMAH-.
That's what pisses off some people, and no 'It's completely optional' doesn't quite fly in this case, and that's not what causing some people to be angry about it.

Quote: I've not bought a thing on the RMAH, nor will I. Doesn't impact my play one bit. Items on there that I don't have don't bother me. People complain that they run out of things to do...yet they buy up things to speed up the pace of play?

I don't represent a gajillion people. This is my viewpoint. But I found after talking with some people, I'm not alone on this.

You want to know why there are people who are not happy with the RMAH? It has nothing to do with what you listed.

It's the fact that bliz brought in real money into the game. 'Lolol, get with the times, farmville has micro transactions, other MMOGs have micro transactions, other games have pay for DLC, it's optional so shut up and enjoy it.'

Oh well it's not an MMOG see, a 'true' MMOG requires a subscription, it needs to have a persistent world bla bla bla. I think that kind of defense is as solid as a single ply toilet paper.

D3 on PC, at the time of this writing, looks like a free to play MMOG. It doesn't call itself so, but it sure behaves like one. If it didn't have the 'Diablo' name on the box, we wouldn't even be splitting hairs on this. It'd be a lot more honest if bliz just called it 'World of Diablo PC: Express Version'.

D3 on consoles, with some features present\not present on the PC version are what some folks would've liked to buy and play on their PC.
What is wrong with that wish exactly?

'It's optional', or 'I have great innernets connection, YMMV', won't sway or convince others who don't share your view. (Edited addition: Even if I'm on a warp speed connection, rock steady stable, with unlimited bandwidth cap, and paying just pennies on the dollar for it. For some things I -still- want offline, I paid the amount of Cash Money you listed on the box, now go the FUUUH AWAY mode. Strange I know, I must be a luddite. Rolleyes )

Though you are right on the larger scheme of things. It -is- optional. We're talking about a video game. Not a mandatory tax. People are free to choose something else and vote with their dollar.

Messages In This Thread
Torchlight II Live! - by Bolty - 09-20-2012, 12:59 PM
RE: Torchlight II Live! - by Bolty - 09-20-2012, 01:01 PM
RE: Torchlight II Live! - by LochnarITB - 09-20-2012, 10:50 PM
RE: Torchlight II Live! - by Hammerskjold - 04-02-2013, 10:47 PM
RE: Torchlight II Live! - by LochnarITB - 04-03-2013, 01:08 AM
RE: Torchlight II Live! - by Hammerskjold - 04-06-2013, 05:58 PM
RE: Torchlight II Live! - by Mavfin - 04-07-2013, 01:58 AM
RE: Torchlight II Live! - by Hammerskjold - 04-07-2013, 03:55 AM
RE: Torchlight II Live! - by Mavfin - 04-07-2013, 05:41 AM
RE: Torchlight II Live! - by Hammerskjold - 04-07-2013, 09:10 AM
RE: Torchlight II Live! - by Mavfin - 04-07-2013, 05:47 PM