Pacific Rim, the movie spacifically.
Quote:Our theater's sound was cranked too high (pain), so we spend the first few minutes crafting comfy ear plugs from napkins.

This seems to be an annoying variance among theaters. The one I went to for Pacific Rim was fine. The friend I went with said it was much better compared to when he saw Man of Steel, where it was cranked up way too loud.

Allright minor spoiler warnings, you know the drill etc etc.

Quote:I'd add that for me, I'd say that for the amount of resources devoted into each Jaeger, I'd expect them to be a bit more durable in battle. If all my eggs are in a single Jaeger basket, I'd have made them more A10 warthog durable (redundant systems)

The eggs probably were in one basket, but the timing was pretty bad in their universe. IIRC, The brief flashback showed after the first victory morale and funding were probably pretty good\increased. By the time we jump into the main character's story, it was looking like the beginning of the end.

Gypsy Danger got clobbered, IIRC that loss broke the 'winning streak', or what humanity thought was our winning streak at least. Funding for developement\improvement slowed\nearly halted.

Striker Eureka was the latest gen, and IIRC was the last due to funding cuts\diversion to the Life Wall project. Some Jaegers were more speedy glass cannons by design, but the main point is that it was the Pvt. Hudson 'it's game over man game over' stage of the story.

Quote:Not being much into schizophrenia, I'd work on obsoleting that need for the two minds connection thing too.

This part I don't mind (nyuk nyuk) too much. I can buy the 'we need 2 pilots analogous to 2 hemispheres of the human brain', as well as to tie to the theme of teamwork. I liked the premise that it doesn't necessarily need twins\blood related pilots, it's the compatibility between the pilots that's more important. Ie: Cherno-Alpha's pilots were a husband and wife team.

And considering the source material includes an element of Power Rangers\Sentai\Power of Team-Work, I can buy it.

Quote:I thought that all of the main characters were intentionally portrayed in a very stereotypical manner. The male Jaeger pilots had physiques like greek gods, the females were lithe and curvacious - like comic book superheroes. The duo of scientists were half chaos, and half order. The nationalities of the Jaegers were "in your face" stereotypical - especially the Russian one. I had no problem with any of that. It sort of solves the stark "black and white" issue you have. It's intentional. I did have a problem with Idris Elba's accent. It was off just enough to be distracting.

That's an interesting and valid counterpoint. I don't mind the deliberate, big broad brushstrokes easily read from a mile away characters, because it's in the genre. Maybe it's the subtle difference between haunted\listless male lead character after what happened with his brother (and that was a great action scene), and just looking bored.

My friend told me the actor is in the Sons of Anarchy series and he's actually not bad. I haven't seen the show so I can only base my impression on what I saw here. If nothing else, he inspires me to hit the weights more often. Though I doubt I'd be getting his 6 pack anytime soon. Tongue

Quote:edit: there is one glaring plothole I want to see discussed. I want to see if someone else will bring it up before I mention it.

Hmmm, offhand I can only remember one scene that kinda bugged me a bit. It was when Mako stepped into a Jaeger in the 'real' for the first time and almost fired the plasma cannon.

I know it was for t3h drama, and if I'm feeling generous I can chalk it up to it wasn't a missile\standard ammo type weapon. Maybe it was one of those direct energy weapon type systems that goes live the moment you power up the Jaeger. Maybe things are so desperate that either:

- Safety system be damned.
- We need the Jaeger's weapons to be armed and ready at all times because yeah we are that close to getting wiped out.

But yeah, I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Leaving aside that for most practical purposes a giant humanoid mech for fighting is weak at the legs\crotch\hips just like a real human. But rule of cool and all that. Tongue

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pacific Rim, the movie spacifically. - by Hammerskjold - 10-17-2013, 07:26 AM