Blackfish documentary on CNN - anyone else watch it?
(10-25-2013, 11:16 PM)Taem Wrote: ...That is my personal belief on animals, however this does not change my reflections of what I know about altruism, and "why" people do what it is they do.
I don't subscribe to black and white thinking.

Is Pure Altruism possible?

"On Jan. 2, 2007, Mr. Autrey jumped down onto the tracks of a New York City subway platform as a train was approaching to save a man who had suffered a seizure and fallen. A few months later the Virginia Tech professor Liviu Librescu blocked the door to his classroom so his students could escape the bullets of Seung-Hui Cho, who was on a rampage that would leave 32 students and faculty members dead. In so doing, Mr. Librescu gave his life. "

It may be time to look beyond the sensationalism of Dawkins. I think while we are motivated by instincts, and biological behavioral patterns -- we are not robots and can exhibit intellect and free will beyond that of simple social insects.

Often, even altruistically, we can act selfishly. But, it is not the rule.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blackfish documentary on CNN - anyone else watch it? - by kandrathe - 10-25-2013, 11:41 PM