Blackfish documentary on CNN - anyone else watch it?
(10-27-2013, 04:11 PM)eppie Wrote: As a chemist I would argue that also our genetic code and the chemistry behind it are just based on molecular interactions, which are then again meant to be because of quantum mechanics.
In other words we don't have free will and the future of the universe is set already. Of course because of the uncertainty principle we would never be able to predict this future (even with an infinitely strong computer).

But saying this I have of course no idea how this really works....I can't imagine this because I really think I have a free will.
Yes, and no. Yes, in that we are bounded by the limitations of the reality of atoms, molecules, and subatomic particles. No, in that we can often arrange them through our actions, and not only those prescribed by random interactions. In other words, we can sometimes be in control of "nature" if we choose to be. In that then, there is not a pre-destiny on the scales within our influence. At the extremes, we are less in control, like say when our sun dies, or when the universe contracts.

For example, we chose(choose) to burn off the planets stored coal deposits, it's not pre-ordained that we do so. Our actions can have a profound effect for life on the planet, and the amount of different gases in the atmosphere. Over the eons of time, and the vast expanse of the universe, it is a non-event -- but relevant to us in our frame.

Quote:Nevertheless, I would argue that our ability to act in non-instinctual ways, is itself a product of our genetic code. We did not lift ourselves up by our bootstraps. We evolved to be reflective, social, moral creatures.
I agree. We shouldn't capture, torture, and enslave orcas (or other undomesticated animals) for our own amusement.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blackfish documentary on CNN - anyone else watch it? - by kandrathe - 10-27-2013, 05:21 PM