Blackfish documentary on CNN - anyone else watch it?
(10-27-2013, 08:01 PM)eppie Wrote: The most energetically favorable thing will happen. You don't influence that, it just happens.
At least that is what I believe, and I didn't hear a good argument against that yet.
Evidence would be nice. I'm just not convinced the invisible hand of pre-destiny intervened tonight to have me awaken to my son playing on his iPhone at 2am, me getting up to take it away, then decide to read and reply to your message.

Rather, I believe that chaos is bounded by nature which imposes the rules of order. The molecules in a hot cup of tea are free to jostle about, but gravity holds it into the cup, and its radiation means it will eventually cool. We living things are free to jostle about on the surface of the planet, consuming each other (or involved in various cataclysms), in cyclical systems of birth, death, and decomposition. Mostly the atoms that are here, will still be here in a million years, but organized differently. If a system is unstable, fragile, unlucky, or unsustainable it crashes, and something else arises (e.g. dinosaurs). This balance of chaos seems a universal thing that describes the vast universe, a solar scale, an ecosystem, plate tectonics, the biologic, the atomic and subatomic.

I just don't buy it that is was inevitable that I wrote this santance, or that I just mistyped that word "sentence" on purpose just to screw with the hands of destiny.

Edit... It reminded me of a story about pre-destiny... A group of philosophers were at a symposium discussing predestination and free will. The debate grew so heated that the two groups broke up into two fiercely-prejudiced factions. But one philosopher remained undecided and wanted to hear more, not knowing to which camp he belonged, stood for a moment trying to decide. At last, he made up his mind to join in with the predestination crowd. When he tried to push his way in, they asked, “Who sent you here?” “Nobody sent me,” he replied, “I came of my own free will.” "Free will!” they screamed back at him. “You can’t come in here of your own free will. You belong with the other group.” So he went over to the free will group. When he tried to join them, someone asked, “When did you decide to join us?” "I haven't decided, I was sent here,” he answered. "You were sent here!” “You can’t join us unless you choose to by your own free will.” And so he was excluded from both companies.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blackfish documentary on CNN - anyone else watch it? - by kandrathe - 10-28-2013, 07:06 AM