Blackfish documentary on CNN - anyone else watch it?
(10-30-2013, 04:53 PM)Jester Wrote: Which, I suppose, leads us back to the beginning of the thread: What do Orcas taste like? (Idempotence and Deebye tell us: like Orcas.)

If it's okay to eat Porca, why not Orca?

This is maybe how we lash our digression about free will back into the original topic. It seems clear that animals think. If they think, are they subjects of morality? (How about chickens? Fish? Insects?) Is it okay to eat them? To capture and train them for our amusement? Is one better than the other?

Do I have to become a vegan? Or is it okay to keep them (or kill them) if we treat them more humanely while we do it?

I know it's a question barrage. But I've never been entirely sure how to take a moderate position on this, without becoming either Ted Nugent or Peter Singer. Or even Pete Seeger.

-Jester

Well the question if to become vegetarian or vegan depends on much more than just what the animal feels.

Now very important; the total CO2 production of eating 100 grams of meat.
Fish probably are less intelligent etc than pigs, but fishery costs an enormous amount of energy compared to what you get out of it when eating.
Using edibles for feeding animals instead of directly consuming them etc.
Health, in the first world most people eat more meat than is healthy (be it just because of fat and cholesterol or because of hormones and pollutants).
The consumption of endangered species.

Anyway to get back to your first question. Not eating animal based on how much it feels is up to yourself I guess, but let' say that the human race hasn't taken that into account when they were deciding which animal they would eat and which not.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Blackfish documentary on CNN - anyone else watch it? - by eppie - 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM