Required reading for 4th graders in Illinois....
(11-23-2013, 01:51 AM)Ashock Wrote: The problem here is that students are being made to read a biography of the President?

I agree it's not something I'd put on the curriculum, and my view of nationalism is roughly Tom Lehrer's. But presidential hagiography (including that of sitting presidents) has been standard fare more or less forever in US elementary education.

Is there something different about this, in particular?

-Jester

Umm, excuse me. I have never before this, heard of any students be REQUIRED to read the biography of a sitting president. At least not in this country. Of course the press and the teacher unions have never been as far up a sitting president's ass either.

I had to read a biography of Reagan, while he was a sitting president during his second term.

I ad to DO a biography on both old bush, and clinton during school.

But hey, lets point out how "scary" it is that the black liberal president's biography is being taught in school, instead of rejoicing that they are actually trying to engage children in something related to our government, something that my oldest son had no teaching on, until his semester long government class.
nobody ever slaughtered an entire school with a smart phone and a twitter account – they have, however, toppled governments. - Jim Wright

Messages In This Thread
RE: Required reading for 4th graders in Illinois.... - by shoju - 11-23-2013, 04:15 PM