So the Pope is a marxist.... (wait for it)
(01-31-2014, 11:59 AM)ShadowHM Wrote: Historically, Christianity thrived by allying with government. Much of the preaching involves subservience to the government of the day, with the promise (explicit or implied) that the flock will be repaid by God in the next life. This deal by Christian leaders allowed them to keep and expand their power/trappings of power. Useful things like tax exemptions and, indeed, exemption from many other government rules have flowed from this very practical decision by bishops in the first millennium of the C.E.
And... I would agree. Much as Occhi hinted, and I believe this is a perpetual problem from antiquity to the present. I would say it was a subtle coercion, that twisted the intent of the teaching. I don't know of anything more fearful to freedom than a theocracy, or a government held sway by the dominant religion.

I don't want to confuse Christianity with the Christian Church (esp. that one in Rome), and its history of using scripture for its own enrichment and power. Much like King Josiah, and the book of Deuteronomy. What better way to herd the sheeple, than to change their philosophy by executive order?

My interpretation of that particular teaching from Christ's sermon on the mount (Matt 5-7) was, and I'm paraphrasing; Get your head and your heart in the right place, rather than building earthly kingdoms on the misery of others. I've been to the Vatican a few times, and building an earthly kingdom on the misery/guilt of others is exactly what the Roman church did after the usurpation by Constantine, which resulted in a world wide papal authority and much historical revisionism to justify their power over the people. The Vatican has much to answer for in its history, but my first impressions of the Pope is that he is more about Christianity, than perpetuating the wealth and power of the Holy See.

For me, I like to contemplate these philosophic ideas in a full context of the time, the place, and the origin. For thousands of years we've built our societies with a common core of beliefs derived first from the Hebrews, and Greeks, and later the Roman empire. But, then also in our modern society we've inherited much wisdom from the East, particularly China, and India.

I find it is as Santayana said,
Quote:"Experience has repeatedly confirmed that well-known maxim of Bacon's that "a little philosophy inclineth a man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion." At the same time, when Bacon penned that sage epigram... he forgot to add that the God to whom depth in philosophy brings back men's minds is far from being the same from whom a little philosophy estranges them."

In local news, MPR has burst the bubble of secrecy here in Minnesota. The future of the diocese is in question, as they now must deal publicly with the payoffs, scandals and crimes committed by their priests that they've been hiding for decades. So, not only does one need to keep their light from under the basket, but we've learned that keeping your fetid offal under the basket is equally detrimental. The Catholics in our area are rightly upset that their donations are in part used for payoffs to criminals to maintain a positive public appearance. In fact, there may be some evidence the diocese is complicit with not reporting the crimes. It is an example of the same hypocrisy that Christ railed about way back then. They forgot the part; "Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny." Justice in these cases demands prosecution of the accused, judgment by a court, reconciliation with the victims, and in the full light of the congregation.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: So the Pope is a marxist.... (wait for it) - by kandrathe - 01-31-2014, 04:31 PM