Can I get a quick rundown on Crimea?
(03-26-2014, 01:54 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Second, for Ukraine, losing the welfare state of Crimea may not be such a bad thing. Almost all the native Russians (in Ukraine) live there, so shedding it gets rid of an ethnic problem politically for Ukraine. Crimea also depends on Ukraine for water and electricity. Not sure what Russia plans to do for infrastructure. The losers will be the Taters, even though the Russians have promised... I really doubt it.

Also, the deal between Russian and Ukraine for Russian use of Sevastopol was for Ukraine to get Ng from Gazprom at below market price. Now, they are jacking the price to above market prices, which will force Ukraine closer to Europe in the long run.

taters...hmmmm.

Soemthing that must be understood by us westeners is that Putin doesnot care too much about the economy. He and his friends are rich either way. It is Putin about power and respect. He wants to show Russia is still a world power.
Of course the west is not going to do anything. Who would want to risk his life for helping a country that is evenly divided between some ethnic groups. Should Crimea be Russian or Ukrainian finally isnt so important for most of us. We are not going to risk a world war for this and Putin knows this. So Putin wins power but loses economic increase. The thing the West wants to look out for is that Putin will not start stirring things up in other states such as the Baltics and that the minority groups in Crimea are treated equally and will not be harassed. So far this seems to be still OK.

Messages In This Thread
Can I get a quick rundown on Crimea? - by Taem - 03-24-2014, 05:10 AM
RE: Can I get a quick rundown on Crimea? - by eppie - 04-02-2014, 08:09 PM