Hobby Lobby v. Sebelius -- CU revisited
(04-12-2014, 09:00 AM)kandrathe Wrote: Ah, well, is it really hypocrisy? Or, are we holding them to a nearly unattainable standard?

If you have trouble understanding why some people can think a company investing in a product it claims it's against, might be seen as hypocritical. Which has little, to nothing to do with their religious beliefs.

It's the ' Product-X- is against my belief' part. Ok still with me? Now, hold on to your hat, because the next one might be tricky.

That company then invests in, Product X. Product X in this context, is contraceptives.

If the subject of contraceptives is too controversial, or maybe the word 'christian' is too much of a dog whistle issue for you. Let's substitute 'contraceptives', with tofu. And pretend this corp has no stated 'religion'. Company Y, is against tofu, tofu consumption, and soybeans usage. It claims it is against it's Mission Statement.

Then it invests in other companies who happens to be in the business of soy. Soy beans, tofu, soy sauce, soy feed, soy based ink, soy based bio polymer and fuel research, soy milk products, you name it they do it. It's big business.

Is the soy business 'bad'? Not necessarily. Is it hypocritical? In what sense and context? By itself? Uhm, no, who the hell would seriously say that? It's a meaningless, incomplete thought at best.

Is company Y being a hypocrite for claiming it has deeply held mission statement against Soy and Tofu, then invests in companies that produces and deals in such products? Yeah, it could be seen as that. At the very least it looks strange. Or perhaps it never really believed that much in the anti-soy mission statement it claims.

But oh emm gee, there's a lot of soy in everything. It's in the ink the newspaper and magazines you read. It's in ice cream. It's everywhere and this modern world of ours is made of soy! Truly, can anyone claim they're completely soy free?! It's unattainable perfection. 'Liberals'! Gotcha politics! Nuance and context! It's everyone else that's Manichean black and white!

...uhm...wasn't there another thing oh yeah Lamestream media!

Uh huh. And sometimes, it's just about people trying to figure out an excuse to skimp out on a bill, after they finished eating the meal.

Quote: Religious freedom is not predicated on our interpretation and judgement of the consistency of the person seeking to assert their religious freedom. The 1st amendment right to religious liberty means not forcing people to violate their claimed religious/moral convictions, even if that means the rest of society must incur some degree of inconvenience or tolerance of this inconsistency. It's really about respecting their beliefs, and not our judgement of their beliefs.

....yeah...that really only works when everyone is reasonable all the time, everywhere. At once.

What happens if I say my religion and belief is the worship of Odin Allfather, wielder of Gugnir, his son Thor wielder of Mjolnir and Mother Goddess Freya?

The 'real' ones, not the namby pamby watered down version of late. My faith -demands- that you give me in tribute the following each month:

- 115 stones in weight, bars or ingots of the finest grade steel.

- 50 stones in weight, bars of gold, 99% gold 1% base metal alloy.

- 12 maidens pure and of fair countenance, strong constitution, and of breeding age. The strong shall serve as Shield and Sword Maidens, the fair shall serve as Handmaidens, and the most worthy shall be breeding stock.

- 20 casks of ale, mead, or wine. Each casks shall match as close to the width of a full grown cow.

I do this not for vainglory, but in the name of Odin the Allfather, his son Thor, Mother Goddess Freya, Protectors of Midgard from the evils of Jotunheim and it's Frost Giants.

May Gugnir pierce the Frost Giants evil heart, may Mjolnir's Wrath strike those who disobey, it's lightning burns their crop fields to a cinder, and strike with thunder all their chattels dead!

In the name of Odin the Allfather, his father, and his father's father, this I obey and so shall you!

Wooooootan!!!!

Ipso facto, I demand you and the rest of society, to respect my religion and beliefs. Inconvenience schmenience. Sounds like Frost Giant gibberish. I shall expect my tributes at the end of the month.

Anyone who does not give tribute, is actively barring my religious right. And risking the wrath of mighty Thor, and depriving the Warriors of Valhalla waiting for Ragnarok. I am kind and gentle, but Thor is not so nice. So send your tributes to:

54 Mellonville Drive
PO box 592

Wotan!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Hobby Lobby v. Sebelius -- CU revisited - by Hammerskjold - 04-13-2014, 09:33 AM