A study on the benefits of video games
(08-15-2014, 02:36 PM)kandrathe Wrote: There are a few pretty cool social cafe type spaces in Minneapolis that might be close to this ideal. They are designed to be comfortable, internet/wifi connected, and engage people to interact. They have old fashioned board games, cards, etc. available. Some of my "writer" type friends hang out there all the time. It's also the kind of place that has an afternoon poetry slam.

I think this is the role of the modern library actually.

Recently built libraries or suburban area libraries at least in my neck of the woods are trying for something like this as well. The ones connected or part of a community center facility has the space and amenities to do it. Smaller, or older libraries unfortunately are sometimes more limited in that respect.

Going back to your larger idea with what could be done with games as a diagnostic tool, the more I think about it I keep coming back to the idea of competition and co-operation. Friendly, sane competition is not necessarily a bad thing. Same with co-operation, most humans are social animals.

I think if I were to use a game as a diagnostic tool, the actual game themselves is not what I would observe that closely. Basically I'd agree with your opinion here,

Quote:My opinion is that violent psychopaths can take inspiration for their violence from most anything, from novels, to movies, to most often a self inspired fantasy often a twisted version of vengeance for some past pain they've suffered.

I would look at how they play the game, and how they interact with other players. Someone who has severe problems may act out their anti-social behaviour in any games, whether they're playing "Call of Battlefield Super Shooter #23", or "Happy Apricot Farm Simulator Online".

edited for typo

Messages In This Thread
RE: A study on the benefits of video games - by Hammerskjold - 08-15-2014, 07:17 PM