Season 3 progress report
I took a lengthy hiatus from D3 last summer, but have returned in the last month or so. I found a few interesting pieces, including an Ancient Serpent Sparker with 3k damage on it and Ancient Nulfurs Boast boots with pretty nice rolls. The term power creep is indeed very understated - when I left last summer, T6 was the measuring stick of how strong your char was. Now, it is a complete joke. It seems Greater Rifts are the only way to challenge yourself now, but there are still some problems it seems.

The first is that they scale infinitely, which is just insane to me. I think an infinite difficulty system is poor design to begin with, since the object (at least in past Diablo games) was to make a powerful char that could faceroll endgame content. But with infinite scaling, this becomes impossible and it will give you the sense, that once you hit that brick wall, you are no longer accomplishing anything. I guess one could argue this would also be true if you found BIS gear in a system that has a cap, and you faceroll everything, but at least on the way there you know there is indeed a cap. Its the journey that counts.

Also, rifts have become too monotone and boring because they are the only aspect of the game that offers any potential rewards that might be significant. Doing bounties or story mode has no fulfilling rewards, and this just doesn't make sense to me. Rewards should be evenly distributed regardless of what it is you are doing, provided all of it is on the same difficulty.

I kind of miss "going out in the world" and running certain areas to find certain items, now its just rifts, rifts, and more rifts.

Kind of mixed on Ancient set items. They make your char much more powerful, but at the same time it just adds another layer of RNG in already too-RNG intensive based game. I think the introduction of these just was a band-aid for a much deeper problem, and thats lack of a coherent endgame, and people being funneled into a very specific build for their class due to a very small select items being viable on the highest content.

I think GR need to have a cap of sorts, otherwise the numbers and scaling are just going to keep rising with every patch and expansion. They are already laughable. I think already at GR 50+ monsters can have health in the TRILLIONS, and chars are doing damage in the 10's of billions sometimes. This will lead to another power creep when more and better items are introduced, and render yet more items obsolete in the process. The cycle will just keep repeating itself.

There has to be a cap on difficulty, and more content so that GR's arent the only thing to do as they are now :/

My wiz has soloed GR 42, though 40+ usually is at least one death for me, and its just frustrating phishing for the right monsters and having to do trial rifts for that; all the while T6 just gets curb stomped. I try to avoid most Act 5 monsters since they are extremely tedious to face, in particular Winged Assassins, Bogin Trappers, and Punishers. Even the white versions of these monsters are OP (let alone as elites), and giving them the nerfbat would probably be justified.
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)

Messages In This Thread
Season 3 progress report - by Aahzmadius - 05-05-2015, 06:22 PM
RE: Season 3 progress report - by Chesspiece_face - 05-05-2015, 11:32 PM
RE: Season 3 progress report - by Aahzmadius - 05-06-2015, 04:10 PM
RE: Season 3 progress report - by TheDragoon - 05-08-2015, 04:08 AM
RE: Season 3 progress report - by Aahzmadius - 05-08-2015, 01:53 PM
RE: Season 3 progress report - by Occhidiangela - 05-09-2015, 05:30 AM
RE: Season 3 progress report - by LochnarITB - 05-09-2015, 09:30 AM
RE: Season 3 progress report - by FireIceTalon - 06-03-2015, 06:29 PM
RE: Season 3 progress report - by Occhidiangela - 06-13-2015, 05:34 PM