US Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage
(07-04-2015, 08:48 AM)LemmingofGlory Wrote: It is and it isn't. The idea of sexual orientation is non-intuitive for many people who've just never thought about it. So, they might get stuck on the gay part before getting to the marriage part. It's that lack of exposure that limits understanding. As an extreme example of limited point of view, I didn't understand sexual attraction until I was 19 because I was brought up to think it was some kind of intellectual decision.
My upbringing was more as an intellectual type, raised with two sisters and a father who didn't do many activities other than farm work. I never did the "male bonding", stuff like weightlifting, and kickboxing until I was more like 25. I was disgusted by the "womanizing" aspects of peer male 20 somethings while in college.

For me, also 19. I happened to be in a ballet troupe at the time, and one of my best friends came out and professed his love for me. I had suspected he was gay, but it didn't matter to me. But, it was awkward then being knowingly desired by him. In that moment of sexual identity clarity, I told him I was definitely a heterosexual, but I very much valued his friendship. He felt rebuffed, and being relegated to "the friend zone" ruined our relationship.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Messages In This Thread
RE: US Supreme Court Legalizes Gay Marriage - by kandrathe - 07-04-2015, 07:13 PM